Re: Watchguard SOHO 6tc Configuration

From: Robin Grayson (robin_at_rg-net.com)
Date: 10/08/04

Date: Fri, 08 Oct 2004 08:24:09 +0100

On 7 Oct 2004 21:40:13 -0500, Micheal Robert Zium
<mrozium@XSPAMX-yahoo.com> wrote:

>Leythos wrote:
>
>>In article <7jsam0t1apt406rj4ldd17i4a6n22fjb01@4ax.com>, robin@rg-
>>net.com says...
>>> On Thu, 07 Oct 2004 16:43:07 GMT, Duane Arnold <notme@notme.com>
>>> wrote:
>>[snip]
>>> But don't I need the Router to actually connect the broadband? I'm
>>> unsure how to make the router "invisible" ie just a modem connected to
>>> the WAN port of the SOHO.
>>>
>>> Sorry if I have misunderstood what you said.
>>
>>Duane's got it wrong - possibly.
>>
>>You still need the DSL router that was provided by the ISP, in most
>>cases, you have two options:
>>
>>1) You can get the ISP to give you a NON-NATTED address, one that gives
>>you a Public IP on the inside and outside of their DSL MODEM.
>>
>>2) You can forward all traffic through the ISP's DSL MODEM to the SOHO
>>unit at a fixed internal IP address.
>
>3) Put the DSL/Modem/Router in bridged mode.
>
>That gives the SOHO a public IP Address on it's external interface,
>and the Modem has no IP.

Thanks Michael, I'll see if the router has a bridged mode.

Thank you to everyone who replied, it's cleared up something which was
a bit fuzzy :)

Regards,
Robin

Relevant Pages

  • Re: [SLE] Still cant fix my dsl on the suse 8.2
    ... do you have dsl router or dsl modem (if you have ... > with ip dns and gateway and it works i did the same ...
    (SuSE)
  • RE: Strange problem with DSL modem.
    ... aside from realizing that I have a shitty DSL modem! ... "You haven't said exactly how your DSL connection is setup. ... I work for an ISP which is a Qwest Megahost and have dealt ... I have dealt with the ActionTec people as ...
    (freebsd-questions)
  • Re: rewiring for DSL
    ... for the DSL modem and one for a Vonage connection. ... Is the old phone wiring capable of DSL? ... I believe the Telco entrance box has a phone jack that can plug into ... the filter which I mount outside next to the phone company NID. ...
    (alt.home.repair)
  • Re: rewiring for DSL
    ... for the DSL modem and one for a Vonage connection. ... Is the old phone wiring capable of DSL? ... I believe the Telco entrance box has a phone jack that can plug into ... went through my DSL modem collection and found a ZOOM DSL modem ...
    (alt.home.repair)
  • Re: unable to connect DSL to router WAN port - error 678.
    ... the DSL modem is smaller and the WAN socket is bigger. ... The Airlink 4 port 10/199mbps Internet Broadband Router manual: ... plug the DSL into the WAN ...