Re: A question : Outpost Personal Firewall Pro 2.1

From: Clark G (clarkmg_at_molc.ubcm.ca)
Date: 10/07/04

Date: Thu, 07 Oct 2004 21:01:26 GMT

Gus <goudie_q@hotmail.com> wrote in news:htnam0lv4frum9ecau1bp42sgnpqjkdht0
@4ax.com:

> I am currently trying out Outpost Personal Firewall Pro 2.1. There is
> one problem which is a worry. Although the DNS Cache Event Log (and
> the others) indicates that there has been activity, eg Cache Hits 4,
> their is nothing in the Detailed Log. There is nothing in any of the
> logs. I was looking forward to examining the contents.
> Your comments/advice would be helpful.

What are you worried about? DNS caching is a performance enhancing
feature, not a security feature. What do want to see in the log? To tell
you that it didn't have to go to the DNS server 4 times (cache hit) to look
up www.microsoft.com while you were surfing microsoft's site? I can think
of a lot more important features/fixes that Agnitum should work on before
this one.

--
Clark G
* take away the em's to reply

Relevant Pages

  • Re: svchost consumes 100% of CPU on startup
    ... Could not display the DNS Resolver Cache. ... If Windows File Protection is working correctly, ... Try ipconfig /flushdns and ipconfig /displaydns commands again. ...
  • Re: svchost consumes 100% of CPU on startup
    ... I tried it and the cache is running ... message that the DNS cache cannot be cleared. ... Error message when you run the ipconfig /flushdns command on a Windows ... MS-MVP Windows Shell/User ...
  • Re: [WARNING] The DNS Resolver Cache service is not running.
    ... It prevents anyone (at least on the server) from ... receiving, DNS Resolver Cache no running, so sorry. ... DHCP Client Service ...
    (microsoft.public.win2000.dns)
  • DNS poisoning of naive caches, bigred.com search engine
    ... Mydomain.com's servers give different addresses for NS.REFRACT.COM, ... cache the glue from the parents, in this case, the gTLD servers. ... A DNS cache, following delegations from the roots, and the gTLD servers, for ... _iterative_ queries made to one of these poison servers. ...
    (Incidents)
  • Re: Remove Computer for RWW Computer List
    ... when domain users connect to the RWW site and select to connect ... please try to clear the IE cache on SBS and client ... Clear polluted DNS entry. ... Microsoft CSS Online Newsgroup Support ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)