Re: Firewall for wireless access only

From: Duane Arnold (notme_at_notme.com)
Date: 10/05/04

Date: Tue, 05 Oct 2004 16:46:02 GMT

max_pop_mail@yahoo.co.uk (Max) wrote in
news:58ad474a.0410050636.e39153f@posting.google.com:

> Hi,
>
> I'm being asked by my company directors to set up their laptops so
> they can access public wireless networks (in particular the one
> available on GNER trains in the UK). This is pretty simple, but it
> raises security issues as these W2k laptops don't have any firewalls,
> as they usually sit behind one on the company network. Can anyone
> recommend a firewall that I can configure to only work on traffic
> through a wireless network card, and that will require little or no
> input from the user once set up.
>
> Am I right in thinking that the XP firewall operates in this manner?
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> Max

Any personal FW should work on a laptop and it should make no differences
if it is wireless or wired. Maybe, you need to focus on preventing
eavesdropping on the wireless connection too with some kind of VPN
solution.

Maybe, the have an ISP that provides VPN solutions for wireless over
there in the UK for when you connect wireless in a public environment.

Duane :)

Relevant Pages

  • Re: New Public Hotspot Setup
    ... You might also want to add "wireless tech support" ... weight laptops occupy more table space and should therefore pay more. ... That should get your coffee shop mentioned in the local newspapers ... just wanted to use the free wireless. ...
    (alt.internet.wireless)
  • Re: My Documents Redirection with Laptop using WiFi
    ... I might have dreamed that auto-enrollment success message. ... but I connect to the wireless network normally. ... your laptops, the laptop won't authenticate to it. ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
  • Re: [SLE] looking for advice about laptops
    ... > The following website has links to other website where people have ... It was invaluable to me when I was trying to get my wireless to ... > I would recommend you select three different laptops that you think you ... 3)Removable CDROM. ...
    (SuSE)
  • Re: New Public Hotspot Setup
    ... You might also want to add "wireless tech support" ... weight laptops occupy more table space and should therefore pay more. ... That should get your coffee shop mentioned in the local newspapers ... It displays the connection count. ...
    (alt.internet.wireless)