Re: gre tunnel, ping works, but i can't see windows shared resources

From: B.T. (mgen72_at_NOSPAMhotmail.com)
Date: 10/05/04

Date: Tue, 05 Oct 2004 16:35:25 GMT

Ok, thanks, but if I write \\192.168.1.15 there is not name resolution, is
there?

B.T.

"Lars M. Hansen" <badnews@hansenonline.net> escribió en el mensaje
> On Tue, 05 Oct 2004 07:02:59 GMT, B.T. spoketh
>
> >Hello!
> >
> >I have set a GRE tunnel between two Cisco 800 routers. It was working
well
> >until last week.
> >
> >There are two LANs:
> >
> >- Lan1: 192.168.1.0
> >- Lan2: 192.168.2.0
> >
> >I can ping from Lan1 to Lan2 and from Lan2 to Lan1.
> >
> >I can open the windows explorer and look for shared folder in any machine
of
> >the Lan1 from the Lan2 by writing \\192.168.1.15 if I want to see the
shared
> >folders of that machine. But I can't do that from Lan1 to Lan2, I mean,
> >windows explorer can't open \\192.168.2.20 or any other machine, it says
> >something like it can't find that machine, however I can ping it. Where
is
> >the problem? I has worked well until last week.
> >
> >Thanks,
> >
> >B.T.
> >

> Windows name resolution works through broadcasts still. These broadcasts
> are restricted to the same subnet, and will not traverse from LAN to
> LAN. The only way to resolve this is to either a) use a WINS server to
> register all the clients and servers, or b) use LMHOSTS files to
> manually maintain a list of the names and IP addresses of the machines
> you need to connect to.
>

> Lars M. Hansen
> http://www.hansenonline.net
> (replace 'badnews' with 'news' in e-mail address)

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Configuration of VPN solutions behind NAT
    ... No it's not name resolution, ... I still can't see the problem so as soon as I get chance, I will try giving the remotes ip addresses in their own subnet as you suggest, thanks again, ... The RRAS server just acts as a proxy on the LAN for ... > LAN machines by IP? ...
    (microsoft.public.win2000.ras_routing)
  • Remote Desktop on Windows 2008 Server
    ... both LAN and remotely to run my application. ... 2003 Server, but now the remote desktop displays my screens in a resolution ...
    (comp.databases.ms-access)
  • Easy Terminal Server Question
    ... My first guess would be name resolution. ... in the name of the server, and it can't resolve that name ... >It works great on the LAn but I need it to work from the ...
  • Re: Cannot join domain by Windows XP Tablet Edition
    ... When I try to join the Windows 2003 Active Directory Domain, ... But I don't know how to check the "name resolution ... Check your DNS server setup ... I guess my DNS server is fine. ...