Re: Firewall of SP2 is good?

From: Duane Arnold (notme_at_notme.com)
Date: 10/02/04

Date: Sat, 02 Oct 2004 18:30:10 GMT

NeoSadist <neosad1st@charter.net> wrote in
news:10lte3ihemv3nc4@corp.supernews.com:

> Jones wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>> I'd like to know if the SP2 Microsoft update works fine.
>
> Mine worked fine.
>
>> Zone Alarm is very better?
>
> Yes, obviously. WinXP ICF is a minimal firewall, and even then, a
> good Windows firewall does a good job preventing IE from screwing
> itself on the internet, er, I mean, a good job protecting IE.

I am running IE at home and have never had an issue.

>> Can I confide on SP2 firewall or is it better to replace it?
>
> Depends. You can use WinXP ICF just fine if you know what you're
> doing, but don't bother using IE to surf the internet. Use Firefox or
> Netscape or Mozilla or Opera or something else.

> I find it pathetic
> that IE needs constant babysitting.

I'll agree that MS needs a browser that has less capabilities for home
usage than the one being used in the home and business environments.

I installed Firefox on my work machine at the job and tried to run it
with some of the Intranet Web business solutions that are in place and
that I am currently developing. Firefox couldn't run them. Out of the
ones you have mentioned, I think Netscape may have a chance to do it but
I doubt it.

Duane :)

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Just venting (totally OT)
    ... IE, Firefox and Opera. ... I'll try to put some perspective behind this firewall stuff. ... Average Joe on a budget might well go into PC World, ... The hacker basically has to turn up dressed like a pizza delivery boy, ...
    (uk.people.support.depression)
  • Re: Windows Firewall aktiviert sich beim Booten von alleine
    ... Da setzte ich auf Firefox mit dem Adblock Plugin. ... Welche Software ersetzt mir bei Norton die Angriffswarnung von außen. ... "Angriff" aufgeblasen. ... kann das Logging der XP Firewall aktivieren und sich ...
    (microsoft.public.de.security.heimanwender)
  • Re: Licenses do not download- Error: 438- despite recovery confirmation
    ... Lavasoft's new firewall. ... as to trying to get license migration using firefox, ... that blasted IE7 to do this. ... (i think firefox programmers don't even bother with the ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsmedia.player)
  • Re: How can I kill IE?!?!?!!?
    ... > router with the firewall active, and have McAfee security suite installed... ... > forbid sites to install apps on my computer. ... I am using FireFox in Windows XP. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: Windows xp security
    ... I have made mistakes in configuration files in Linux that made the system wide open but I was not exposed because of the firewall configuration. ... Computer security is not relying on any single layer to keep you secure but multiple layers that must be crossed before communication occurs. ... I too have been running Firefox since the .8 days and am aware of several vulnerabilities where the flaw was related to Java or Windows where simply viewing an image could compromise the system. ...
    (alt.computer.security)