Re: Firewall of SP2 is good?

From: Duane Arnold (notme_at_notme.com)
Date: 10/02/04

Date: Sat, 02 Oct 2004 18:30:10 GMT

NeoSadist <neosad1st@charter.net> wrote in
news:10lte3ihemv3nc4@corp.supernews.com:

> Jones wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>> I'd like to know if the SP2 Microsoft update works fine.
>
> Mine worked fine.
>
>> Zone Alarm is very better?
>
> Yes, obviously. WinXP ICF is a minimal firewall, and even then, a
> good Windows firewall does a good job preventing IE from screwing
> itself on the internet, er, I mean, a good job protecting IE.

I am running IE at home and have never had an issue.

>> Can I confide on SP2 firewall or is it better to replace it?
>
> Depends. You can use WinXP ICF just fine if you know what you're
> doing, but don't bother using IE to surf the internet. Use Firefox or
> Netscape or Mozilla or Opera or something else.

> I find it pathetic
> that IE needs constant babysitting.

I'll agree that MS needs a browser that has less capabilities for home
usage than the one being used in the home and business environments.

I installed Firefox on my work machine at the job and tried to run it
with some of the Intranet Web business solutions that are in place and
that I am currently developing. Firefox couldn't run them. Out of the
ones you have mentioned, I think Netscape may have a chance to do it but
I doubt it.

Duane :)