Re: ISP keeps connecting to my port 445

From: NeoSadist (neosad1st_at_charter.net)
Date: 09/27/04

Date: Mon, 27 Sep 2004 10:57:21 +0000

Madhur Ahuja wrote:

> Hello
>
> Whenever I connect to my ISP *Reliance India Ltd.*, I keep getting
> incoming connections for port 445 from one of their computers, which my
> firewall obviously drops. I need to know whether I should do something
> about this or this is normal.

This is not normal, and is an attempt for them to share files with you. DO
NOT leave that port open, and block all attempts. It might be that your
ISP has been hacked, so don't think it's someone that works for the ISP.

> I think port 445 is used by Netbios, are they looking my computer for the
> shared folers?.

Probably.

> Should I drop those connections or just deny them.

Drop/deny them all.

--
If bankers can count, how come they have eight windows and only four
tellers?

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Remote Desktop failing acces from the internet
    ... You may want to try NAT one to one on port 3389. ... I'm trying to help a friend of mine with the following problem: Remote Desktop cannot access computers from the Internet. ... The only strange thing I have noticed is that the network admin has enforced some group policies on the computers belonging to the domain; as a result some exceptions on the firewall, the firewall service itself, plus some other domain-controlled services aren't modifiable. ...
  • Re: [opensuse] Is there a gotomypc like service for ssh?
    ... I have a machine at my parents house that is behind a ISPs firewall. ... I've tried to open up the ssh port in the firewall but it is not ... Maybe the ISP is blocking it even earlier. ...
    (SuSE)
  • Re: ftp scanning
    ... >> I run a Linux box behind a firewall. ... I'm running ProFTP v1.2. ... >> half as many hits to this port. ... Many people have had to find another ISP because if this. ...
    (comp.os.linux.security)
  • Re: Virus cleanup - fix compromised windows firewall settings
    ... Inform your AV vendor about the reinfection and provide them with the binary ... horrible ISP that will take weeks to wipe the box. ... very strict rules on the firewall. ... that open port is still open and grayed out so I can't modify ...
  • Re: Current status?
    ... You would still need to know who your MTA is ... justification for allowing anybody to use port 25. ... to the problem of how to get the email system to be more immune to SPAM. ... your ISP should never allow you ...
    (comp.os.vms)