Re: SPF - Part II

From: Casey (Casey_at_nosuch.net)
Date: 09/15/04

Date: Wed, 15 Sep 2004 21:53:47 GMT

In article <lh8hk0930fbhbkb6kqq0cn56hial1vqkkb@4ax.com>, traxless@msn.com says...
> Thank you for some of the guidance in the first post. The OS is
> Win98se, the browser is IE5.5. Tried to install and re-install.
> Sygate tries to load, but fails without an error message. Machine
> seems to be free of virus, spyware, adware based on all the usual
> utilities.
>
> Any other "out-of-the-box" suggestions? tia

Well, I've got two WAGs. Did the updated version you installed
come from here?
http://soho.sygate.com/free/default.php
On this page there are two different links for D/Ls.
One for XP, 2000, and ME. The other for NT, 98, and 95.
Could you have accidently gotten the wrong link? (most unlikely).

Here is something I have noticed about Sygate short-cuts.
In my start/programs/applications, a short-cut is put here upon
installation of Sygate. If I R-click it and look at properties
then select target, I get:
D:\applications\sygate\smc.exe-start
If I go to the Sygate folder and drag a short-cut from smc.exe
to the desktop, its properties/target is:
D:\applications\sygate\smc.exe (there is no -start)
For testing, if I shut down Sygate at the tray icon, and then
try to restart it from the desktop short-cut icon (no -start),
Sygate won't start.
Could your problem be somehow related to this?
Good luck, Casey

Relevant Pages

  • Re: switch from zonealarm to sygate, problems
    ... > Sygate start after installation and reboot. ... Outgoing mail is certified Virus Free. ...
    (comp.security.firewalls)
  • Re: SPF - Part II
    ... >Here is something I have noticed about Sygate short-cuts. ... >installation of Sygate. ... But no luck. ... I'm going to download ...
    (comp.security.firewalls)
  • Re: Sygate Firewall Pro cannot launched???
    ... Try contacting sygate tech support. ... > I have installed Sygate Firewall Pro on my Win2000. ... The installation ...
    (comp.security.firewalls)
    ... >> Sygate tries to load, but fails without an error message. ... > Here is something I have noticed about Sygate short-cuts. ... > installation of Sygate. ... "Automatically Load Sygate Service At Startup" ticked. ...
    (comp.security.firewalls)