Re: XP SP 2 ready firewalls

From: --Mike (
Date: 09/14/04

Date: Tue, 14 Sep 2004 07:22:27 GMT

"Rolleston" <> wrote in message
> On Mon, 13 Sep 2004 05:31:07 -0600, NeoSadist <>
> wrote:
> >The idea behind the security center is to make sure you have a firewall,
> >necessarily to detect them. If you have one but the security center does
> >not detect it, you can shut off the security center's nagging since you
> >know you have a firewall.
> Is there anything wrong with having two firewalls running at once,
> one being the Windows XP SP2 firewall?
> Thanks,
> R.

What you should really have is an outboard firewall (such as a router
w/built-in firewall) and a software firewall. Then, if one should fail, you
will still have complete protection. And no, they do not conflict with each
other. I have had my system configured this way for at least a year, with
no hint of trouble.