Re: XP SP 2 ready firewalls

From: --Mike (mjsuhm_at_zzexecpc.com)
Date: 09/14/04

Date: Tue, 14 Sep 2004 07:22:27 GMT

"Rolleston" <rolleston@tiscali.co.uk> wrote in message
news:etrbk09j7c04or3mdsphug209psgarj2b5@4ax.com...
> On Mon, 13 Sep 2004 05:31:07 -0600, NeoSadist <neosad1st@charter.net>
> wrote:
> >The idea behind the security center is to make sure you have a firewall,
not
> >necessarily to detect them. If you have one but the security center does
> >not detect it, you can shut off the security center's nagging since you
> >know you have a firewall.
>
> Is there anything wrong with having two firewalls running at once,
> one being the Windows XP SP2 firewall?
>
> Thanks,
>
> R.

What you should really have is an outboard firewall (such as a router
w/built-in firewall) and a software firewall. Then, if one should fail, you
will still have complete protection. And no, they do not conflict with each
other. I have had my system configured this way for at least a year, with
no hint of trouble.

--Mike

Relevant Pages

  • [REVS] Bypassing Client Application Protection Techniques
    ... Get your security news from a reliable source. ... protection programs. ... * Kerio Personal Firewall 4.0 ... And we got actually nothing in the field of client application ...
    (Securiteam)
  • Re: Recycler security issues on IIS server
    ... > latest upates to the server. ... > like to see the server put behind our firewall, ... other software, install all patches, IISlockdown, URLscan, use the correct ... the procedures you follow may vary depending on your security needs. ...
  • Why hasnt Symantec addressed nastier Messenger spoofs
    ... Norton / Symantec has been silent on whether Norton Internet Security ... DSL firewall will stop these kinds of pop-ups. ... major ISPs and broadband systems. ...
    (comp.security.misc)
  • Re:RE : suggestions on a good firewall
    ... Subject: RE: suggestions on a good firewall ... CheckPoint does! ... with a url-filtering server. ... IT Technical Security Officer ...
    (Security-Basics)
  • [NEWS] Cisco ASA Multiple Failover DoS Vulnerabilities
    ... Get your security news from a reliable source. ... and bypass Cisco ASA firewall. ... In an Active/Standby configuration: ... This causes the standby firewall to ARP for the IP address of each active ...
    (Securiteam)