Re: Dialog box ads

From: Anonymous (Anonymous-Remailer_at_See.Comment.Header)
Date: 09/13/04

Date: 13 Sep 2004 00:51:57 -0000

On Sun, 12 Sep 2004, Kerodo <kerodonospamkenny@hotmail.com> wrote:
>In article <Z141d.64548$Kt5.30557@twister.nyroc.rr.com>,
>news@DELETE_THISmccune.cc says...
>> "Kev" <xj91k@ntlworld.com> wrote in
>>
>> > I receive lots of unsolicited advertisements in the form of dialog
>> > boxes. Most of them have "Messenger Service" displayed in the title
>> > bar. Is it possible to block them using a firewall? I have McAfee
>> > Personal Firewall+ installed, but nothing in the event log corresponds
>> > to these dialog box messages, so it's hard to know what to block.
>>
>> If you disable the Messenger Service (not the same as Windows Messenger),
>> that will stop.
>
>True, but it would be better if he could figure out why those packets
>are getting thru his firewall.

No. If the service is shut down it doesn't matter if the packets get
through or not. Using a fire wall to block something that's a configuration
problem is treating a symptom and ignoring the disease. Curing the disease
is _always_ better.

--
Questo messaggio e' stato inoltrato automaticamente
da un paio di anonymous remailer. Il mittente originale

Relevant Pages

  • Re: False positive?
    ... Windows Messenger is very susceptible to buffer overflow problems. ... "Microsoft Windows Messenger Service contains a vulnerability that can ...
    (alt.comp.anti-virus)
  • Re: popup
    ... Windows Messenger Service and Microsoft Messenger are not the same ... It is what network administrators use to send ... You are not running a firewall, which is the true root of your ...
  • Re: Windows Messenger Service
    ... However, the reason they can get to the Messenger Service (not to be confused with Windows Messenger) in the first place, is that your internet connection is not secure. ...
  • Re: Ping Mike Williams Questions on SP2 adms
    ... >>> To answer your question about the Messenger service, ... >>> allow Windows Messenger to be run policy setting. ... >>> Mark Williams ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.group_policy)
  • Re: Ping Mike Williams Questions on SP2 adms
    ... >> To answer your question about the Messenger service, ... >> allow Windows Messenger to be run policy setting. ... >>> control of items like desktop icons and tool bars. ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.group_policy)