Re: Port 1026

From: Moe Trin (ibuprofin_at_painkiller.example.tld)
Date: 09/12/04

Date: Sun, 12 Sep 2004 14:21:18 -0500

In article <tfCdnUumRK3K5t7cRVn-qw@comcast.com>, Charles Newman wrote:

>Why am I being attacked on port 1026?

Kindly look at the thread "IP address spoofing" a few articles up
your screen - it's only been discussing this subject for a couple
of days.

>My software firewall was alerting me to numerous
>connect attempts on port 1026.

because it's misconfigured.

>This is another reason I advocate the use of software firewalls
>instead of hardware devices. Tiny Personal Firewall put a message up
>on the screen alerting me to what was going on, allowing me to create
>a rule blocking any future attempts to connect on port 1026.

If you didn't know what 1026 is, you probably shouldn't be advocating
anything. Why was your firewall so misconfigured as to allow the
connection attempt in the first place?

>If I had been using a hardware firewall, I would never have been
>notified of what was going on.

If your firewall (hardware OR software) was properly configured in the
first place, the crap would have been blocked without worrying you.

>That is one thing that makes Tiny Personal Firewall better than a
hardware device. It can alert you of suspicious activity not in the
>rulset, and allow you to take appropriate action.

Most (if not all) "personal" firewalls use shrill words like "attack"
to make the clueless users feel warm and fuzzy about wasting their
time and/or money to set them up and then gazing attentively at the
nearly useless crap in the logs.

Your post shows a considerable lack of knowledge about networking,
NEVERMIND how firewalls operate. Try to learn something about both
before advocating what you are not qualified to be speaking about.

        Old guy

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Port 1026
    ... > connect attempts on port 1026. ... > instead of hardware devices. ... Tiny Personal Firewall put a message up on ... > the screen alerting me ...
    (comp.security.firewalls)
  • Re: Firewall +NAT + shaper for WinXP Pro
    ... I don't know of a personal firewall that can do such. ... hardware devices that can do such though many can shape only uplink ... > I'm looking for a firewall that supports NAT, can shape bandwidth and will ...
    (microsoft.public.win2000.networking)
  • Re: Which Firewall?
    ... If you are from an ISP you should know better. ... not advocating. ... Firewall vendors/resellers will not necessarily tell you this, ... the complexity of operating systems with which even computer science ...
    (comp.security.firewalls)
  • Re: Sygate
    ... >> delay, I think. ... > You're advocating one firewall over another in here and ... Sygate's usability is very well crafted. ...
    (alt.computer.security)
  • Re: Sygate
    ... > delay, I think. ... You're advocating one firewall over another in here and you don't even know ...
    (alt.computer.security)