Re: Blocked internal polls

From: Vanguardx (see_signature)
Date: 09/11/04

Date: Sat, 11 Sep 2004 12:27:36 -0500

"Brian" <flackb@hotmail.com>
wrote in news:414329b0$0$4193$ba620e4c@news.skynet.be:
> I recently installed Sygate Personal Firewall to provide additional
> protection to my Win XP Pro PC behind a Linksys BEFSR41 NAT router. I
> am puzzled by the fact that my traffic log shows a large number of
> blocked incoming UDP polls from addresses such as 192.168.1.100/101
> and 192.168.0.1. However, it allows outgoing UDP polls from
> 192.168.1.255 and 192.168.0.255. This happens even when the only
> other PC connected to the router is switched off.
>
> If these polls are coming from network cards on my PC, surely they
> expect a response so is it right for the firewall to block them?
>
> Can anyone tell me what this behaviour indicates?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Brian

What happens if you disable UPnP in the router and/or disable the UPnP
NT service in the hosts?

********  Post replies to newsgroup - Share with others  ********

  • Re: network discovery keeps turning off
    ... I finally did find the solution (for real this time, lol) it was staring ... Just disable uPnP on your router and network discovery remains ON. ...
  • Is this method a security issue?
    ... Work's ISP uses DHCP, ... but to allow PPTP pass through, the router must be set up using a static IP. ... So what I did was add my work PC to the DMZ list on the router, ...
  • Re: Blocked internal polls
    ... >> I recently installed Sygate Personal Firewall to provide additional ... >> protection to my Win XP Pro PC behind a Linksys BEFSR41 NAT router. ... > What happens if you disable UPnP in the router and/or disable the UPnP NT ... Brian ...
    (comp.security.firewalls)
  • Re: [Newbie alert!] Is the Linksys BEFSX41 hardware Firewall/router a "real" firewall?
    ... Leythos wrote in news:z2L1e.21478$rL3.7616 ... >> Lethos, why disable UPNP? ... > Why do you want your computer to be able to make changes in the router? ...
    (comp.security.firewalls)
  • Re: I am protected?
    ... It means the XP clients can reconfig the router. ... > example XP upon discovering such a router tries to punch holes for IM. ... disable upnp.(fon't take my word for 5000 and 9000, ...
    (comp.security.misc)