Re: ZoneAlarm - Windows Update Site Access Blocked

From: John Jones (jjetroit000_at_ameritech.net)
Date: 09/10/04

    Date: Fri, 10 Sep 2004 09:26:43 GMT

    On Thu, 09 Sep 2004 20:39:07 -0700, Donald McDaniel
    <orthocrossNOSPAM@cablespeedDOTcom.invalid> wrote:

    >You might check in Internet
    >Explorer, and set an exclusion to popup blocking of the Windows Update
    >site in the Popup blocker.

    If he's running XP and has applied SP2, the Windows Secrets newsletter
    has the following note:

    Pop-up blocker interferes with Windows Update
    Microsoft acknowledged on Aug. 31 that the browser's pop-up blocker in
    SP2 can cause the Windows Update site to halt with "HTTP error 500."
    (Other pop-up blockers can cause this, as well.)

    The solution is to add the Windows Update site to the browser's list
    of sites that are allowed to use pop-up windows. This is explained in
    Knowledge Base article 883820.

    John Jones, Detroit

    • Re: Any idea when SP2 full version will be released?
      ... Add more garbage? ... i'm running sp2 2120at the moment with no problems ... new windows update and some ie ... active x blocker and pop up blocker it also seems to have ...
      (microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize)
    • Re: Active x problems
      ... do this to tweak the pop-up blocker in I.E.-SP2. ... >From Internet Explorer main menu, select Tools, then Popup blocker, then popup blocker settings. ... Try Windows Update once more. ...
    • Re: Help Needed
      ... >have tried to load some of the free programs to stop ... Then when I downloaded a windows update, ... I have a pop-up blocker that is enabled, ... >I downloaded Opera 7.52. ...
    • Re: Update information
      ... Get him to check his pop-up blocker software to allow pop-ups from the ... For configuration instructions regarding 3rd party pop ... up blockers refer to the documentation for the pop-up blocker application. ... If this hasn't helped post the original message in the Windows Update ...
      (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
    • Re: Windows update not working
      ... Toolbar as part of my IE Browser. ... Finally disabled the Pop-up Blocker & the ... After that, Windows Update worked perfectly. ... >> Steve, ...
      (microsoft.public.windowsupdate)