Re: Am i OK? Getting a LOT of alerts from my router about LAND!!!

From: Stevie_mac (no.email_at_please.com)
Date: 09/09/04

Date: Thu, 09 Sep 2004 14:05:57 GMT

UPDATE.

I neglected to add that my wife was using bit torrent, which uses mainly port 6881.

I have since opened port 6881 & the problem has stopped, no more router alerts!

I wouldn't normally open ports but after a little googling, it would appear to be 'safe' to do this.

Any thoughts?

"Stevie_mac" <no.email@please.com> wrote in message news:CqX%c.3605$he1.36049009@news-text.cableinet.net...
> Hello all you security experts & networking gurus!
>
> I am currently getting a glut of alerts. The majority or the 'attacks' are LAND. I am currently getting about 3
> alerts every 10 mins or so!
>
> Do I have anything to be worried about? - the reason I ask is that the SOURCE and DESTINATION IP addresses are the
> same (my DHCP assigned WAN address), only the port numbers differ.

> Some other info that might help...
> Router has NAT and firewall
> 1PC has XP SP2 & firewall on, has been on IRC & emule
> 1PC has XP SP1 & has been / is on IRC
>
> Sample Alert from router...
> Dear User
> Your router has detected and protected you against an attempt to gain access to your network. This may have been an
> attempted hacker intrusion, or perhaps just your Internet Service Provider doing routine network maintenance.
> Most of these network probes are nothing to be worried about - these types of random probes should NOT be reported,
> but you may want to report repeated intrusions attempts. Save this email for comparison with future alert messages.
> Your router Alert Information
> Time: 09/09/2004, 12:11:19
> Message: LAND
> Source: 82.39.73.xxx, 55747
> Destination:82.39.73.xxx, 6881

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Connecting to Home Computer
    ... cannot transmit IP packets outside the local network). ... assigned by your router. ... You have to add the port too, ... Determine the ports (pcAnywhere uses 5631 for DATA, 5632 for STATUS, I ...
  • Re: Webcam with SBS-2003
    ... unless he was trying to create some kind of DMZ for the camera. ... attached to a port on the Westell router with an IP ... NICs and the network. ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
  • Re: 2 pc network - cant see host files from pc 2 on pc 1
    ... built into your router. ... If your router/switch has five ports then plug your computers into any port ... Network Places other than shortcuts. ... > If the second card is lost on HOST PC then DSL Internet does not connect. ...
  • Re: Remote Desktop Web Connection
    ... Or that the Web Client ActiveX control runs on the local computer, ... Windows Network Technology Community - ... >The router is what is restricting you from reaching multiple machines. ... and it understands rules about passing packets on port X ...
  • Re: moving sbs network
    ... The SBS network is connected to the LAN port. ... so the public wireless router is the DHCP ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)