Re: "small caps"

Gary
Date: 09/06/04

Date: Mon, 06 Sep 2004 12:05:39 -0500

On Mon, 6 Sep 2004 10:32:27 -0400, "Uncle Mortimer" <lost@sea.invalid>
wrote:

><Gary H> wrote in message news:9q3nj0tvqt7n992t5slavv8hqj5c6ji861@4ax.com...
>> On Sun, 5 Sep 2004 17:43:01 -0400, "Uncle Mortimer" <lost@sea.invalid>
>> wrote:

>> >Non-capital I would guess, "upper case" and "lower case" are printing (typesetting) terms
>>
>> Yes, I actually saw those cases once (next to some old printing
>> equipment). Also, where would "caps" fit in here? Is "small caps" a
>> printing term too?
>
>Caps is short for capitalization - a writing term adapted for typewriters (and now computer keyboards)

That's what I thought (approximately, "capitals" would be a better
fit), but was unsure after seeing that strange term of "small caps".
It's two words that don't belong together.

> it is
>either "caps on" (shift + letter), "caps off" (letter), or "caps lock" (relieves the need to shift to capitalize letters).

And makes it easier to make annoying posts on usenet.

>You may notice that shift + number is not the same as caps lock + number because only letters can be capitalized.

Yes.

BTW, I remember one old computer that had a bug, where CAPSLOCK-Q gave
"q" rather than the expected "Q". This bug did not affect SHIFT-Q
(which did give "Q").

>> >not writing terms
>> >as "capital letters" is.
>> >They are either capitalized or not though some would call non-capitalized letters "small
>> >letters" although they can be made any size you want.
>> >

>> Those "small letters" do tend to be smaller. Notice that the capital
>> letters all use the full height of the line. Most small letters don't.
>
>A small letter (non-capitalized/lower case) in a newspaper headline is very often much larger than the capitals in the story proper.

True, but not those in the same line, so what I said is still correct.
Look at how "B" is larger than "b". Some people even call "B" a "big
B".

>Size refers to point not to case or style (yet font refers to style and point size).

Sure. I was just using "size" to mean "size". At actually looks like
some people can't see the simple, nearby things because ther're
looking for the far away, complicated ones.

"In all affairs it's a healthy thing now and then to
hang a question mark on the things you have long taken
for granted." -- Bertrand Russell