Re: Question about replacing firewall in router/swith combo while still using switch

From: Duane Arnold (notme_at_notme.com)
Date: 09/01/04

    Date: Wed, 01 Sep 2004 03:50:49 GMT

    Steve Rosenfelt <steve@nospam.com> wrote in
    news:tvdaj0di3feu6ed9eu199uv1h7r3u27r1v@4ax.com:

    > Hello all,
    >
    > What are your thoughts on this scenario? I have a client with a
    > Netgear 8 port firewall/swith. I'm going to install a Fortigate 50A
    > managed firewall with AV screening. Can I use the 8 port DLINK
    > firewall switch as a switch only?

    You should be able to take it out of DHCP mode.

    > One cable between the modem and the fortigate, another between the
    > fortigate and the 8 port bank on the DLINK router/firewall and clients
    > plugged into the same bank. The Wan port on the Dlink will be empty.

    D-Link that is new turned into a SW is connected by LAN port to the other
    device LAN port. You'll need to set the Device IP of the D-link to a
    static IP of the other device so that the machines on both devices can
    share resources and access the Internet.

    You should call D-link Tech support for the proper setup of the D-link

    The above is what I did to connect the Linksys BEF11S4 router that was
    turned into a wireless SW and connected into the WatchGuard SOHO 6.

    Duane :)

    • Re: Remote Desktop Web Connection
      ... domain server: enterprise 2003 ... d-link DI-824VUP router with port 80 and 3389 forward to server IP ... only from one single client or from _all_ clients over the WAN link? ...
    • Re: thin client com ports
      ... I'm glad that you got at least one more client working! ... MCSE, CCEA, Microsoft MVP - Terminal Server ... the COM port settings? ... I am testing several thin clients. ...
    • Re: network installation manager
      ... there is a firewall between master and client machines, ... NIM Communication within a Firewall Environment ... master via nimclient calls to the nimesis daemon. ... reserved port range of 1023-513. ...
      (comp.unix.aix)
    • help: using smtp.gmail.com as SMART_HOST
      ... with my Google gmail address. ... is pop.gmail.com, using port 995. ... Retrieving mail is not the problem since my Google searches ... client, I believe the term is) to send my mail to Google's ...
      (comp.mail.sendmail)
    • Re: Unable to print to networked printer - get access denied messa
      ... Check the permissions on the server assuming the client has a true RPC ... How is the Standard TCP/IP port configured for the device? ...
      (microsoft.public.windowsxp.print_fax)