help: Firewall disconnect internet connection

From: Wesley Wang (wslwang_at_hotmail.com)
Date: 08/20/04

Date: Fri, 20 Aug 2004 11:07:05 -0500

HI
I am new for firewalls. I just purchased a 3com firewall 3cr16110-95
Superstack 3. I ahev already update the firmware and finished setting up.
But I have problems now......

I found my internet connection will drop almost everyday. sometimes once a
day, sometimes twice a day. I have to restart the firewall to get the
connection back. I kind of thought about firewall problem, so I called 3com.
3com tech told me I need to isolate the firewall. Could anyone tell me how
to do it?

I have questions are:
- is it normal that firewall disconnect like this so often? I am sure it's
not because the log file full cuz I setup to over write the log. THe
firewall shouldn't disconnected when the log is full.
- 3com told me that if the machine has no problem, then that might be the
computer got virus and this kind of virus will make firewall stop working.
Is it true?
- The machines I put behind the firewall all have antivirus protection and
windows update are all up to date. Is there anything I can do to find out
which machine is hacking my firewall?
- I do really see a long log in my firewall. it is normal? THis is some of
the log in my firewall.
TIME MEssage Source
Destination Notes Rule
xx/xx/xx TCP connection dropped 209.99.228.120,52594
(firewall WANIP),135 WAN RPC Mapper 0
xx/xx/xx TCP connection dropped 209.214.52.104, 4426, WAN
(firewall WANIP),445 WAN Type:445 0
xx/xx/xx TCP connection dropped 64.230.149.236, 3200, WAN
(firewall WANIP),5554 WAN Type:445 0
xx/xx/xx Denied UDP packet from LAN 10.0.0.107, 8183, LAN
(firewall LANIP),1900 LAN

I really need to solve the problem. If you have any suggestion such as
ideas, books, websites please let me know. THank you

wslwang@hotmail.com

Relevant Pages

  • Re: How save is a Windows PC on a Linux network.
    ... firewall between the dialup and the internal lan. ... Being of sound mind and body, I never surf with the Windows machine and ... Assuming you trust your firewall, and you know what's running on the ... I have to have it on the lan to access the Linux servers but sometimes it ...
    (comp.os.linux.misc)
  • Re: OWA
    ... 'Thats good news at least about the firewall. ... Tried them both earlier and same error message - 403. ... get ths same error message in and outside of the LAN? ...
    (microsoft.public.backoffice.smallbiz2000)
  • Re: How to stealth against ping/echo requests?
    ... I just started using the Online-Armor firewall. ... Some ports are even open. ... Are you behind a router? ... Every time it founds a new LAN, it asks if you want to trust it ...
    (comp.security.firewalls)
  • Re: Wohin mit dem OpenVPN Server?
    ... Ich geb dem Server eine öffentliche IP und setze ihn in die DMZ, ... Adresse über die Firewall von der DMZ aus ins LAN verbinden... ... Ein kompromittierter VPN-Server ...
    (de.comp.security.firewall)
  • Re: [SLE] Firewall zones
    ... Looking at the firewall configuration in Yast, ... My network card is assigned its IP address by the router using DHCP. ... It connects to the LAN and to the router; the router in turn talks to the ... All the systems on the LAN are supposed to have the same firewall protection, ...
    (SuSE)