Re: Lost connection to shared drive/computer after install Win XP

From: Xiccarph (
Date: 08/18/04

Date: Wed, 18 Aug 2004 13:35:50 -0500

Rob Hughes wrote:

> If that's the case, do you have access to that box? I've seen win2k go brain
> dead and stop authenticating. Looks for errors like "The server was unable
> to allocate from the system nonpaged pool because the pool was empty." I've
> even seen this in boxes that are basically idle and have a large amount of
> ram, so I'm pretty sure certain configurations have a pretty serious memory
> leak, though I haven't been able to nail it down yet. You might also try
> logging into it directly and see if that works. Someone may have messed
> with the permissions on that share. If you can login at the console, try
> mapping that share from the box itself and see what happens, but at this
> point, I'd start focusing on the remote system rather than your box,
> especially given that you can map drives on the DC.

Yes, I've checked my user rights and privelages on the unloginable box.
  I can log into it fine, and can also log into it from the domain
server fine. Its only my XP wks that refuses to log in or is unable
to connect. Odd thing is, I can connect to that nonloginable box from
other workstations, including a WinXP SP1 box. My PC (now using SP2)
would not connect even in SP1. So the problem seems unique to my PC,
and limited only to access to that box...everything else network related
is functioning normal.