Re: Help Sought: When Using Mozilla Firefox AVG Reports Virus

From: Michael (mgordon2_at_BeamMeUpScottie.earthlink.net)
Date: 08/06/04

Date: Fri, 06 Aug 2004 09:00:50 -0500

Someone wrote:

>Hi,
>
>Has anybody come across the following problem?
>
>AVG Free Edition (Virus Database: 487 Release Date: 2nd August, 2004)
>reports that the computer could be infected by a virus - JS/Fortnight
>in \Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\Default.A4E\Bookmarks.html
>
>Is this overprotective AVG or a problem with Firefox? Any ideas?
>Please advise?
>
>cya ӿӬ

You should not have any virus type files in your Bookmarks file, this is
a HTML file with nothing but text links to the web sites you have saved
as Bookmarks. This is a text only file saved in HTML. You can use
Firefox to open and read the Bookmarks.html file and review all text
links. Check over all the entries by placing your cursor over each
link, then read the URL down on the Status Bar. The Status Bar will
reveal the URL coding for the link. It is possible that an imported
bookmark from OE contains a redirect in the URL that AVG is warning
about. If you find such a link close Firefox, reopen it as a web
browser and go to Bookmarks/Manager and delete the suspect Bookmark.

Michael

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Help Sought: When Using Mozilla Firefox AVG Reports Virus
    ... "Michael" wrote in message ... >>Is this overprotective AVG or a problem with Firefox? ... > You should not have any virus type files in your Bookmarks file, ...
    (comp.security.firewalls)
  • Re: Extremely odd thing with Giganews DMCA?
    ... >> A message popped up on the screen asking me about transferring bookmarks. ... >> looked at the taskbar and saw it was Firefox. ... On the primary machine that used to host the Tor router, ... Only Tor was permitted to use those ports. ...
    (alt.privacy)
  • Re: Extremely odd thing with Giganews DMCA?
    ... | A message popped up on the screen asking me about transferring bookmarks. ... Neither IE or Firefox were running ... Please download, install and update the following software... ... It is suggested to run the scanners in both Safe Mode and Normal Mode. ...
    (alt.computer.security)
  • Re: Extremely odd thing with Giganews DMCA?
    ... >>A message popped up on the screen asking me about transferring bookmarks. ... >>looked at the taskbar and saw it was Firefox. ... >>The only things running at the time were Mercury, OE, and News Agent. ... on a software firewall and only permit connections to those ports through Tor ...
    (alt.privacy)
  • Re: TVGuide.com now officially useless
    ... Other browsers have that "go" menu but Opera ... I downloaded Firefox 1.5 and gave it a quick test run. ... I still don't like the toolbar, it reminds me too much of IE and the ... Firefox has a bookmarks toolbar and it can import Opera ...
    (rec.arts.tv)