Re: Hardware vs Software Firewall - Pros and Cons?

From: bob (
Date: 08/06/04

    Date: Fri, 06 Aug 2004 02:48:08 GMT

    Leythos <> wrote in news:MPG.1b7c997bbdeb0ac098a875@news-

    > In article <Xns953CC9E7DDC64bobatcarolnet@>, usenetMAPS@
    > says...
    >> I have IPCop running on an old PC box. It has a keyboard and a mouse
    >> attached, but no monitor.
    >> What terminology would you use to describe it?
    > While I'm not Lars, I strongly bring up the differences between an
    > appliance and a PC based system.
    > I would call IPCop, running on any PC, no matter how limited the PC is,
    > a personal firewall. IPCop is about as close to a appliance as you can
    > get without being an appliance, it's a very good choice for a limited
    > firewall that is also secure.

    But it's not really a *personal* firewall if I'm putting it on a seperate
    box between the switch and the DSL modem (when there's an entire office on
    the switch. I am using it in part (as a network administrator of sorts) to
    control what other people in the office can do (at my employer's request).

    Delete the inverse SPAM to reply