Re: Hardware vs Software Firewall - Pros and Cons?

From: Leythos (void_at_nowhere.com)
Date: 08/06/04

Date: Fri, 06 Aug 2004 00:21:49 GMT

In article <Xns953CC9E7DDC64bobatcarolnet@207.69.154.205>, usenetMAPS@
2fiddles.com says...
> I have IPCop running on an old PC box. It has a keyboard and a mouse
> attached, but no monitor.
>
> What terminology would you use to describe it?

While I'm not Lars, I strongly bring up the differences between an
appliance and a PC based system.

I would call IPCop, running on any PC, no matter how limited the PC is,
a personal firewall. IPCop is about as close to a appliance as you can
get without being an appliance, it's a very good choice for a limited
firewall that is also secure.

The key thing with IPCop is not having anything available other than the
firewall config - nothing else can run on it.

spamfree999@rrohio.com
(Remove 999 to reply to me)

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Hardware vs Software Firewall - Pros and Cons?
    ... >> I have IPCop running on an old PC box. ... IPCop is about as close to a appliance as you can ... > firewall that is also secure. ...
    (comp.security.firewalls)
  • Re: Wie beurteilt Ihr IPCop
    ... jeweiligen Betriebssystem mitgelieferte Firewall, sondern um die ... da Du speziell nach IPcop fragst. ... so das man HTTPS durch ssh tunneln muss will man die Kiste fernwarten. ... e) Das Addons und Sicherheits updates nicht von der FW gepollt ...
    (de.comp.security.firewall)
  • Re: Debian Proxy Server
    ... The IpCop About page mentions Linux Firewall Distribution about 85 ... but not web caching and filtering. ... Filtering is accomplished by easy to install addons that include Dan's ...
    (Debian-User)
  • RE: What firewall for small medical research lab
    ... I'm installing a new firewall at my current workplace. ... At home I decided to go with pfSense because it has much better Wireless ... It is based around IPCop, but has a whole host of extra features... ... Pay someone to set up a PC based firewall running on surplus hardware ...
    (Security-Basics)
  • Re: Comparing Open Source Firewalls
    ... torn between monowall and endian firewall. ... IPCOP supersedes/overcome Smoothwall. ... whereas Smoothwall uses IPCHAINS. ...
    (Security-Basics)