Re: Hardware vs Software Firewall - Pros and Cons?

From: Leythos (
Date: 08/06/04

Date: Fri, 06 Aug 2004 00:21:49 GMT

In article <Xns953CC9E7DDC64bobatcarolnet@>, usenetMAPS@ says...
> I have IPCop running on an old PC box. It has a keyboard and a mouse
> attached, but no monitor.
> What terminology would you use to describe it?

While I'm not Lars, I strongly bring up the differences between an
appliance and a PC based system.

I would call IPCop, running on any PC, no matter how limited the PC is,
a personal firewall. IPCop is about as close to a appliance as you can
get without being an appliance, it's a very good choice for a limited
firewall that is also secure.

The key thing with IPCop is not having anything available other than the
firewall config - nothing else can run on it.

(Remove 999 to reply to me)