my computer is sending a lot of data out but I am not uploading?

From: dennis quinn (djquinn_at_bne.catholic.edu.au)
Date: 08/03/04

Date: 2 Aug 2004 17:34:20 -0700

I have an xp machine. I have a dial-up connection

I am using tiny firewall 6.0 I have nod32 and it's up to date. I use
adaware and spybot, hackthis and cwsshredder. I have shut port 135
445 and dcom is turn off. I have also turned off the spam messages in
messenger and the upnp is closed.

After about 2 hours the amount of outbound traffic starts to increase
and by the morning it tells me it has sent eg 345,987,765bytes. So,
it ticks over like crazy even when there is no visible traffic.
Everything that I can close is closed.

I have used tcpview, commview and part of tfp 6.0 to monitor it. I
can't see what or who is sending the data out. I am about to try cable
nut.

I am coming to end of what I know. I have scanned and probed to the
best of my ability. I am also coming to end of my rope. I am also
seriously considering reimaging my drive, just to put an end to it.

I am hoping that someone can help, because I would dearly love to know
waht's going on.

Thanks in advance. Please feel free to eamil me directly if you
want.

Dennis Quinn

Relevant Pages

  • Re: F-Secure antivirus?
    ... > I've been using NOD32 for about the same amount of time. ... > Kerio Personal Firewall 2.1.5. ... > anywhere in reviews or any popular PC magazines either, ... > The point of me mentioning the firewall is that I feel the same way ...
    (alt.computer.security)
  • Re: Shut down in 60 secs...... HELP! Pls
    ... The interesting thing was that when I ran Adaware on the PC, it caused a RPC ShutDown in 60 ... | To help stop unauthorized downloads via your activex controls change your ... | Kerio Personal Firewall ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: Cant send/rec e-mail - ?reinstall?
    ... Some tips on spyware you may not have seen (May be a good guess on your ... And this utility is easier to use than AdAware, and works well for me, ... it's Norton Internet Security firewall that could be a problem, ... > download updates. ...
  • Re: Cant send/rec e-mail - ?reinstall?
    ... > however just like AdAware it can delete some things which will stop your ... > it's Norton Internet Security firewall that could be a problem, ... >> download updates. ... >> Barb Zakrzewski ...
  • Re: VIrus! :-(
    ... Una vez que penetro, NO me era posible pasar el NOD32 en safe mode, ... ver el firewall ni el router. ... yo NO utilizo nada afanado. ... de troyanos con HijackThis, y si hace falta, tomar la medida adecuada. ...
    (soc.culture.argentina)