Re: Can't reconfigure Netgear router after modem change

From: Jeff (jeff_at_nospam.net)
Date: 07/17/04

Date: Fri, 16 Jul 2004 22:42:37 GMT

The router has two settings, Use the following IP Address, and Obtain IP
Address dynamically from ISP. I've tried both, using both my NIC MAC
address and my Modem MAC address. Each time I did turn off the modem and
router in between trials for five minutes as had been suggested to me a
longtime ago when I was first installing the router. And I have used the
router reset button to clear all settings so I could be sure I was starting
fresh. When I connect the router in the network I can't ping anything
(except maybe the router itself).

"kony" <spam@spam.com> wrote in message
> On Fri, 16 Jul 2004 09:00:09 GMT, "Jeff" <jeff@nospam.net> wrote:
>
> >I've about given up since I've tried everything I can think of. My ISP
> >won't support the router, and I'm still waiting for Netgear to reply to
my
> >request for technical assistance.
> >
> >I have a Netgear MR814v2 router for firewall protection. My OS is Win XP
> >Pro. And not that it matters, but my ISP is Comcast.
> >
> >Recently I was having frequent connectivity problems over my cable
> >connection. I thought it was the ISP's problem until I eventually called
> >and found out that there had been no service interruptions in my area.
>
> Which basically means nothing. Consider that when someone calls
> with a problem and is told that there are "no service
> interruptions", if they DO have a service interruption, the tech
> on the phone just assumes "user error, not our fault" when they
> don't really know. A tech should be able to see if you're
> (moden) is connected to the network. If they can't tell you even
> that it's time to ask for next tier of support. If you need to
> ask for a manager, once someone comes on the phone, you even have
> to ASK them if they are indeed a manager, else you may just get
> handed off to someone else..

> >Comcast Tech rep who came out said the problem was my modem (a Toshiba
> >PCX1100U). Recently I had bought a new D-Link DCM-200 cable modem
because
> >it was only $20 after rebate, and I wanted a backup. So the Tech rep
from
> >Comcast and I hooked up my backup modem, and after calling Comcast to
give
> >them the MAC address of the new modem, my connection was established.
>
> OK, this is a confirmed working modem, keep using it while
> reconfiguring the router, not switching back and forth with the
> modems again.
>
> >The
> >tech rep and I tried to get the router to work in the connection without
> >luck. We seemed to have all of the neccessary information: IP address,
> >Subnet mask, Default gateway, DNS servers.
>
> Subnet of the WAN or LAN? LAN is typically 255.255.255.0, but
> WAN may be different. Gateway needs be correct but forget about
> DNS server and just ping IP addresses on the WWW instead of
> Domain names.
>
> >In Network connections the OS
> >was set for DHCP address assignment. But I cannot get the router to
work.

> Can you ping the router from the PC?
>
> >The connection is fine without the router. I've tried spoofing the MAC
> >both the computer network interface MAC and to the cable modem MAC, but
> >neither of these options has helped.
>
> Do not clone the router's MAC to be same as any other connected
> device... not the PC, not the modem. _IF_ you told Comcast the
> MAC of your PC's network card as a requirement for service then
> you either need to tell them switch that to the MAC of the
> [...]

Relevant Pages

  • Re: weird weird weird Linksys router
    ... Normally, when this happens, resetting the modem and router ... That fixed it (and my connection was way zippier than normal); ... including cloning its MAC Address to the same as my G4's MAC ... In my case it loses wireless connectivity ...
    (comp.sys.mac.comm)
  • Re: Connection stalls until I do ping/traceroute in router
    ... If it was not unique, and another host shared that address, the ARP table on your system would map the gateway's IP address to the MAC address of the gateway "some of the time", and map it to the MAC address of the host sharing the IP address at "other times". ... If you connected the LAN interface of your gateway router to the LAN interface of another device which used the same default IP address for its admin interface, ... between your ISP and their connection to the interknot. ...
    (alt.internet.wireless)
  • Re: About Mac Address
    ... connection with it's own collection of problems. ... it was working again with that mac address. ... has called, but my question is, did she possibly call and the ISP just ... some strange coincidence, you're connected to your unspecified router, ...
    (alt.internet.wireless)
  • Re: Help
    ... What Settings (in which bit of the Connection) did you change? ... Or some Settings in the Router? ... So please don't be tempted to DisAble the Encryption that you previously ...
    (uk.people.silversurfers)
  • Re: Vista not connecting through ADSL router to Orange broadband - possible MTU problems?
    ... It is connected via a LAN cable to an Etec ADSL router. ... On the internet connection status, ... "The security policy settings on this computer might be blocking the ... Policy provider: Windows firewall ...
    (uk.telecom.broadband)