Re: How many firewalls is too many?

From: paul blitz (paul.blitz_at_centia.co.uk)
Date: 07/02/04

Date: Fri, 2 Jul 2004 09:33:19 +0100

> If you configure IE to use a proxy server the IE will just pass the
hostname
> to the proxy and let the proxy figure out the IP address.

More so than that: the client passes the whole URL to the proxy server, and
the proxy goes and finds it (which starts with it figuring out the hostname)

Paul

Relevant Pages

  • ProxyPass does not work with hostnames only IPs. (mod_proxy Apache 1.3)
    ... use ProxyPass in virtual host directives with success. ... ServerName www.foo.org ... Only when I use a hostname all I get is a "500 Proxy Error" ...
    (comp.infosystems.www.servers.unix)
  • 0x8024402C - Possible Fix
    ... connection settings are not set to proxy) BUT the hostname ... of the proxy matched the hostname that my server was set ... measure that blocks windows update v5 from certain IP's. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsupdate)
  • Re: 0x8024402C - Possible Fix
    ... > connection settings are not set to proxy) BUT the hostname ... > of the proxy matched the hostname that my server was set ... > measure that blocks windows update v5 from certain IP's. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsupdate)
  • Re: PuTTY + cluster + server fingerprints
    ... Set "Proxy hostname" and port to the real hostname and port you want ... the proxy setup creates a "null proxy" where a TCP ... connection to one hostname is used as a proxy for a connection to ...
    (comp.security.ssh)
  • WebProxy and Web Service
    ... small Web Proxy server running to test real users using a proxy. ... at System.Net.Dns.GetHostByName(String hostName) ...