M$ Messenger file transfer and SOHO3

null_at_nowhere.net
Date: 06/19/04

Date: Sat, 19 Jun 2004 01:49:29 GMT

        I'm having issues with messenger. I'd like to be able to
transfer files with family members but can get M$ Messenger and or
Firewall to cooperate. I'm running a SonicWall SOHO3 (with NATand
latest firmware) and Zone Alarm 4.X.

         In the SW management under Access>Services, I have Messenger
support checked and in Access>Rules, I have a rule allowing all on
port [6891-6900] TCP6. Can anyone tell me if this is correct? I'm a
bit of an armature with Internet security and that was the reason I
bought the firewall appliance.

        The other big question I have is am I safe with the default
rule set? Which is:

Allow All Default LAN *
Deny All Default * LAN

If anyone has suggestions, extra rules, or Internet sites that will
help me harden my Firewall I'd be very grateful.

Thank You,
Todd

Relevant Pages

  • Re: How save is a Windows PC on a Linux network.
    ... firewall between the dialup and the internal lan. ... Being of sound mind and body, I never surf with the Windows machine and ... Assuming you trust your firewall, and you know what's running on the ... I have to have it on the lan to access the Linux servers but sometimes it ...
    (comp.os.linux.misc)
  • Re: lan blocked by sp2
    ... The firewall will block ANY connection, ... I use Zone Alarm ... and you set the LAN in a trusted zone, ... |> Have you configured the firewall/LAN connection? ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware)
  • Re: OWA
    ... 'Thats good news at least about the firewall. ... Tried them both earlier and same error message - 403. ... get ths same error message in and outside of the LAN? ...
    (microsoft.public.backoffice.smallbiz2000)
  • Re: How to stealth against ping/echo requests?
    ... I just started using the Online-Armor firewall. ... Some ports are even open. ... Are you behind a router? ... Every time it founds a new LAN, it asks if you want to trust it ...
    (comp.security.firewalls)
  • Re: [SLE] Firewall zones
    ... Looking at the firewall configuration in Yast, ... My network card is assigned its IP address by the router using DHCP. ... It connects to the LAN and to the router; the router in turn talks to the ... All the systems on the LAN are supposed to have the same firewall protection, ...
    (SuSE)