"BAD" local ports

From: Brendan DJ Murphy (brendan_at_cpac.REMOVE.org.uk)
Date: 06/18/04

Date: Fri, 18 Jun 2004 05:20:30 +0100

Hi there.

First of all, is there an FAQ in this newsgroup as the question I'm going
to ask is probably a candidate for an FAQ?

I have configured my firewall to block all INCOMING packets TO what I
consider to be "Bad" ports

For example,

I have blocked these ports regardless of the IP address the packet comes

Can somebody give me a definitive list of ALL LOCAL ports which should be
considered "BAD"

There are a lot of worms out there that hammer people's machines causing
them to shut down etc. Even though I keep my Windows Updates up to date, I
still want to be sure to be sure that I am properly protected from this and
other malicious types of attack.