Re: a VPN Question

From: Alec (alec_at_nospam.com)
Date: 06/17/04

Date: Thu, 17 Jun 2004 19:49:34 GMT

"Don Kelloway" <dkelloway@commodon.com> wrote in message
news:S8aAc.14415$Y3.8822@newsread2.news.atl.earthlink.net...
> "Don Kelloway" <dkelloway@commodon.com> wrote in message
> > "Alec" <alec@nospam.com> wrote in message
> > >
> > > "Don Kelloway" <dkelloway@commodon.com> wrote in message
> > networks

> the
> > side,
> > other.
> > > >

> > > Umm, yes, they can. That is the exact situation the link I provided
> in
> > my
> > > response above covers. That is, they show precisely how two private
> > subnets
> > > both utilizing the 192.168.1.x/24 subnet can communicate together.
> The
> > > answer is, in fact, NAT (to be precise, Mapped IPs or MIPs, which
> are
> > > one-to-one mapping of translated addressing). Basically, on your
> side
> > of the
> > > tunnel you map the other side's network to a different subnet. It
> > involves
> > > some contortions, but is doable.
> > >
> > > Alec
> > >

> > That's odd... I just refreshed the NG and 'lo and behold there's your
> > post. Time to do some reading to see how this is being accomplished.
> > Thanks for the info.
> >

> Though there are some specifics to making this work, that was
> interesting to read.
>
> --
> Best regards, from Don Kelloway of Commodon Communications
> Visit http://www.commodon.com to learn about the "Threats to Your
> Security on the Internet".

I hope it is useful sometime. Hey, btw, sorry about earlier. I re-read my
post later and thought it came off a bit rude. I didn't mean it to be. It's
just I thought that you had seen my prior link.

Alec

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Bridging network interfaces on Windows 2000 Prof.
    ... > The main reason why i need bridging is that i want to join two remote ... > networks that are numbered in the very same way. ... Normally it has 3 subnets because there is one subnet to ... to run as a "bridge". ...
    (microsoft.public.win2000.networking)
  • Re: Bridging network interfaces on Windows 2000 Prof.
    ... > The main reason why i need bridging is that i want to join two remote ... > networks that are numbered in the very same way. ... Normally it has 3 subnets because there is one subnet to ... to run as a "bridge". ...
    (microsoft.public.win2000.networking)
  • Re: [opensuse] Multiple Network Card Problem on openSUSE 10.3
    ... I have configured multiple interfaces on the same ... I commonly do this on my laptop where I have to plug into different networks ... multiple IP's for the same interface (all on different subnets) helps to ... multiple host names with dns entries pointing to the same IP address, ...
    (SuSE)
  • Re: Practicalities of subnets
    ... I understand that subnets make managing networks easier, ... Most networks have Windows to deal with. ... So breaking networks up into subnets contains broadcasts because routers don't pass broadcasts. ... Layer-3 switches generally are as fast as layer-2 switches but much more expensive. ...
    (comp.os.linux.networking)
  • Re: windows mem leak
    ... # Generate and add networks 192.168.1-255 to networks. ... # Generate and add hosts 1-254 to hosts. ... ## Add the 192.168.0 net list to the subnets list. ... print "There are", len, "class C network lists in the subnets list." ...
    (comp.lang.python)