Re: Passing DHCP through a Hotbrick

From: Michael A. Covington (look_at_www.covingtoninnovations.com.for.address)
Date: 06/16/04

Date: Tue, 15 Jun 2004 19:09:40 -0400

"T. Sean Weintz" <sean@snerts-r-us.org> wrote in message
news:10curu9dbp08u84@corp.supernews.com...
> Michael A. Covington wrote:
>

> > Can you elaborate? You're referring to setting up a computer with 2
network
> > cards?
>
> No. 1 computer with 1 network card will do. The dhcp forwarder software
> gets set up so that it knows the actual IP address of the DHCP server
> you want to use (can be several hops away)
>
> It listens for broadcasts bound for the DHCP/BOOTP port, and then
> forwards all such packets on to the IP address of the DHCP server.
>
> ALL vertsions of windoze NT (from at least 3.51 on) to my knowledge come
> with a DHCP forwarder (part of the optional networking components install)

Ah. And this is behind the firewall? And does it need any special ports
opened up on the firewall?

Relevant Pages

  • Re: >>Two XPs cant see each other<<
    ... >have permission to use this network resource. ... >Connection Firewall has been disabled on both of the XPs ... >IPs for my Pro and 2k. ... Obviously there is a DHCP server somewhere, ...
  • Re: WAP54Gs with WPA not handing out IPs from SBS2003 server
    ... Do you have enough IP addresses in the DHCP pool on the DHCP server? ... There's not even 50 machines total on the network. ... I'll assume you're running Windoze XP Home using Wireless Zero Config ... With the PCMCIA card, it's the WZC software. ...
    (alt.internet.wireless)
  • Re: WAP54Gs with WPA not handing out IPs from SBS2003 server
    ... Do you have enough IP addresses in the DHCP pool on the DHCP server? ... There's not even 50 machines total on the network. ... I'll assume you're running Windoze XP Home using Wireless Zero Config ... With the PCMCIA card, it's the WZC software. ...
    (alt.internet.wireless)
  • Re: Network Printing
    ... I keep getting the message that setup is unable to locate the printer on the network. ... I am using Bitdefender Antivirus and Firewall. ... I have two computers on my home network which both share my internet connection through a broadband modem connected through the network. ... The 169.254.90.241 address indicates that the network adapter in the printer is set to receive an IP address automatically from a DHCP server but isn't getting one. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.print_fax)
  • Re: Whats the benefit of using superscopes?
    ... A superscope is a collection of individual scopes that can be ... A superscope is actually a collection of individual scopes. ... Place DHCP clients from multiple network IDs on the same ... The superscope will allow the DHCP Server to answer requests from ...