Re: Passing DHCP through a Hotbrick

From: Michael A. Covington (look_at_www.covingtoninnovations.com.for.address)
Date: 06/16/04

Date: Tue, 15 Jun 2004 19:09:40 -0400

"T. Sean Weintz" <sean@snerts-r-us.org> wrote in message
news:10curu9dbp08u84@corp.supernews.com...
> Michael A. Covington wrote:
>

> > Can you elaborate? You're referring to setting up a computer with 2
network
> > cards?
>
> No. 1 computer with 1 network card will do. The dhcp forwarder software
> gets set up so that it knows the actual IP address of the DHCP server
> you want to use (can be several hops away)
>
> It listens for broadcasts bound for the DHCP/BOOTP port, and then
> forwards all such packets on to the IP address of the DHCP server.
>
> ALL vertsions of windoze NT (from at least 3.51 on) to my knowledge come
> with a DHCP forwarder (part of the optional networking components install)

Ah. And this is behind the firewall? And does it need any special ports
opened up on the firewall?

Relevant Pages

  • Re: >>Two XPs cant see each other<<
    ... >have permission to use this network resource. ... >Connection Firewall has been disabled on both of the XPs ... >IPs for my Pro and 2k. ... Obviously there is a DHCP server somewhere, ...
  • Re: WAP54Gs with WPA not handing out IPs from SBS2003 server
    ... Do you have enough IP addresses in the DHCP pool on the DHCP server? ... There's not even 50 machines total on the network. ... I'll assume you're running Windoze XP Home using Wireless Zero Config ... With the PCMCIA card, it's the WZC software. ...
    (alt.internet.wireless)
  • Re: WAP54Gs with WPA not handing out IPs from SBS2003 server
    ... Do you have enough IP addresses in the DHCP pool on the DHCP server? ... There's not even 50 machines total on the network. ... I'll assume you're running Windoze XP Home using Wireless Zero Config ... With the PCMCIA card, it's the WZC software. ...
    (alt.internet.wireless)
  • Re: Is there any ways to config the DHCP client in WinXP?
    ... You can't firewall or protect your PC to "prevent the problem" - it is doing ... I know this is not the problem of Microsoft. ... > network, so once it happens I can only record the MAC address of that fake ... > DHCP server, report to the admin and then wait...Nothing else I can do. ...
  • Re: Network Printing
    ... I keep getting the message that setup is unable to locate the printer on the network. ... I am using Bitdefender Antivirus and Firewall. ... I have two computers on my home network which both share my internet connection through a broadband modem connected through the network. ... The 169.254.90.241 address indicates that the network adapter in the printer is set to receive an IP address automatically from a DHCP server but isn't getting one. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.print_fax)