Re: My firewall intercepts probes from ARPA

From: Stan Hilliard (usenetreplyUM_at_samplingplansNOTSPAM.com)
Date: 06/11/04

Date: Fri, 11 Jun 2004 09:10:37 -0500

On Fri, 11 Jun 2004 05:03:47 GMT, shopping.nowthor.com
<nospam@shopping.nowthor.com> wrote:

>On Thu, 10 Jun 2004 23:29:36 -0500, Stan Hilliard
><usenetreplyUM@samplingplansNOTSPAM.com> wrote:
>>
>>For months I have noticed that each time I dial up the internet my
>>ZoneAlarm firewall receives a probe or two from DNS=.in-addr.arpa.
>>Since ARPA (Advanced Research Projects Agency) is the name of the
>>original Internet, I have kept watch on these probes.
>>

>FYI:
>
>http://www.inetdaemon.com/tutorials/internet/dns/reverse.html

Thanks.

Followup question:
What would be the purpose of someone looking up the DNS of the
temporary IP of my dialup connection?

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Wiping a hard drive?
    ... were funded by the Advanced Research Projects Agency (ARPA) ... And ARPA later became DARPA - ... the Defense Advanced Research Projects ... named the "Internet" when we let you guys in. ...
    (comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage)
  • Re: Internet speed by country
    ... Despite what he may have said, Al Gore did not invent the Internet. ... ARPA set out to create a brand new ... The obvious choice was Lawrence Roberts. ... switching as its primary way of transferring data. ...
    (soc.culture.vietnamese)
  • Re: [SLE] OT: Canada
    ... In November 1988, another gTLD was introduced, .int. ... It is also used for some Internet infrastructure databases, ... existing ones would move to .arpa wherever feasible. ...
    (SuSE)
  • Re: Reno Newspaper Defends Reporting on Glider Accident
    ... internet was not invented by the ... 'advanced research projects agency', later the 'defence ... Pity you did not research your facts before your cheap shot. ...
    (rec.aviation.soaring)
  • Re: Wiping a hard drive?
    ... and at the various universities of Manchester and London. ... And ARPA later became DARPA - ... the Defense Advanced Research Projects ... named the "Internet" when we let you guys in. ...
    (comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage)