Sonicwall firewall blocking isakamp of competing product's VPN client?

From: arabub (arabub_at_yahoo.com)
Date: 06/10/04

Date: 9 Jun 2004 21:10:16 -0700

Lots of our users can connect to our Astaro VPN gateway ("gateway")
from workstations that are located behind firewalls that perform PAT.
We are using SSH's Sentinel VPN client, using isakamp/IPSEC.

There is one user who can successfully connect from her laptop when at
home where she has a consumer grade firewall. When she is at work,
however, where she is behind a SonicWall firewall, she cannot connect
to our gateway.

I looked at the traffic that arrives at the gateway when a VPN is
initiated, by running tcpdump on the Astaro VPN gateway, and found
that there is absolutely no traffic arriving at the gateway when she
tries to establish a VPN from behind the SonicWall firewall!

Is this a known problem ("feature") of the SonicWall?
Could it be that SonicWall filters out isakamp packets?

Thanks,
--Ulf

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Kids bypassing firewall via web proxy sites
    ... We use a Sonicwall firewall, 3060, I subscribe to content fltering, ... and I checked "Access to HTTP Proxy Servers" But I am still able to ... SP1, and see if that will do the trick. ...
    (comp.security.firewalls)
  • Re: Sonicwall firewall blocking isakamp of competing products VPN client?
    ... > We are using SSH's Sentinel VPN client, ... > home where she has a consumer grade firewall. ... > I looked at the traffic that arrives at the gateway when a VPN is ... > tries to establish a VPN from behind the SonicWall firewall! ...
    (comp.security.firewalls)
  • [fw-wiz] Cant ping firewall
    ... One of my clients has a SonicWall firewall. ... It turns out the SonicWall was ignoring the ARP requests from the laptop. ... extra data in the ARP request packets. ...
    (Firewall-Wizards)