Re: AV software on partial internet connected network?

From: Duane Arnold (notme_at_notme.com)
Date: 06/03/04

Date: Thu, 03 Jun 2004 11:46:58 GMT

Tx2 <tx2newscollection-invalid-@hotmail.com> wrote in
news:MPG.1b290f774812c35e9898c5@news.individual.net:

> I am dealing with a network of 6 PC's of which only one is directly
> connected to the internet. The network is a 'standard' XP workgroup
> type.
>
> Is it necessary to install AV and firewall software on the remaining 6
> PC's as they only ever retrieve/store info from a folder on the
internet
> connected system, not each other.
>
> The internet connected PC should pick up on any viruses that 'come in',
> so the other machines shouldn't really get infected, should they?
>
> Or would i be wise to ensure all 6 machines are equally protected?

You should look into IPsec that's on the O/S to secure the LAN between
the machines. The AnalogX SecPol file when implemented on each machine
will provide that protection.

http://www.petri.co.il/block_ping_traffic_with_ipsec.htm

Also, one needs a stand alone AV on each machine as there are more than
one way to have a machine compromised with malware, which usually happens
with *happy finger* users behind a gateway device that's providing
protection.

Lastly, if you have no reason not to be using a NAT router as the gateway
device for the LAN and WAN, then may be you should look into getting one
as they provide better protection and are cheap, like $20. And you can
plug a standalone hub or switch in to the LAN port of the router to
extend the network.

Duane :)

Relevant Pages

  • Re: keep getting DCOM intrusions
    ... the XP machines, you should have the ICF firewall enabled on the ICS ... connection which would block this infection from the Internet side. ... It won't, however, prevent your bringing the infection into the network ...
    (microsoft.public.security.virus)
  • Re: Event id 529
    ... The machines are not accessible from the Internet. ... I don't have access to my Network ... Logon Failure: ...
  • Re: 3B2 Disks
    ... the reason for only having a few connections under the old UUCP ... Considering the nature of connectivity over the INTERNET, ... and many of those machines connected by domain name were UUCP ... remain in the email network, ...
    (comp.sys.3b1)
  • Re: HOWTO Ping LAN???
    ... and tunnel to other internal machines ... Port forward connections from the Internet "thru" ... |>network is by tunneling. ... |>from the outside to my default gateway and have the gateway ...
    (freebsd-questions)
  • RE: unusual 1.11.0.0/16 outbound traffic
    ... "The last 10 years of Internet usage has disproven ... We have been seeing an increasing amount of unusual network activity ... The activity began 2004-08-10 with 4 machines trying to send packets out ... No packets with "data" appear to be making it out. ...
    (Incidents)