Re: UDP packet being blocked

From: Gerald Vogt (vogt_at_spamcop.net)
Date: 05/22/04

Date: Sat, 22 May 2004 19:19:10 GMT

JClark schrieb:

> I notice on my firewall log that an outgoing UDP packet is frequently
> being blocked. The source IP address is my IP address 192.168.1.100 --
> router on a single computer -- and the destination address is
> 65.32.1.80, which is the IP address of my ISP, RoadRunner. The source
> port is 1137, the destination port is 53.
>
> I don't understand what this means. Why is an outgoing UDP packet
> going to my ISP and why is it being blocked? The system seems to be
> running OK.

Port 53 is DNS - Domain Name Service. It resolves the host names (e.g.
www.apple.com) to IP addresses (among other things). 65.32.1.80 is most
likely the configured DNS server for your connection (check with
"ipconfig /all" in a command prompt) Basically any connection to the
internet (except those, that use an IP address directly) requires the
DNS server. My NIS 2004 (compared to 2003 I think) does not have a
general DNS rule anymore but allows DNS only for configured application.
So I assume, that you have a program running that tries to access the
internet and that you block. Check the logs to find out which program it
is...

Gerald

Relevant Pages

  • Re: mail problems
    ... You would probably have to work on this with your ISP. ... email as the 10.x.x.x range is non-routeable over the Internet. ... > The firewall gets it's IP from an ISP's dhcp server. ... > At one point (after some fiddling with the DNS server) ...
    (RedHat)
  • Re: my domain name is the same as my webpage
    ... and i can access it from my laptop if i just use the isp dns server ... > Are you pointing to your internal DNS server and then your ISPs? ... >> just we cant get to our website and cant get to mail from our ISP ... > See earlier post for info. on adding an A record to fix the Internet Site ...
  • Re: my domain name is the same as my webpage
    ... and i can access it from my laptop if i just use the isp dns server ... > Are you pointing to your internal DNS server and then your ISPs? ... >> just we cant get to our website and cant get to mail from our ISP ... > See earlier post for info. on adding an A record to fix the Internet Site ...
  • Re: Forward where
    ... "James W. Long" wrote in message ... Usually that is the ISP if you wish to resolve "The Internet" ... and don't have another intermediate DNS server on your ...
    (microsoft.public.win2000.dns)
  • Re: Network diagnostics
    ... ISP's DNS server. ... the ISP but not to the internet. ... domain name to an IP address, but not the ability to contact another ...
    (comp.sys.mac.comm)