Re: Exchange Server 2000, Barracuda Spam Filter and Cisco Pix506

From: dbeaulieu (cyberstitious_at_hotmail.com)
Date: 05/19/04

Date: 19 May 2004 07:53:46 -0700

The Cisco Pix 506 firewall is statically routed to an outside address
which is translated to an inside address of 192.168.0.11 which is the
old exchange IP before we installed the Barracuda. The Barracuda now
has the Exchange Servers former IP. It is veery asimple and
straightforward. The Exchange server is on IP address 192.168.0.12.
The Barracuda filters only on port 25 ignoring all other ports. It
forwards legitimate email to the Exchange server, blocking the spam.

What I need to do is forward the other ports, 80 and 110 in particular
around the Barracuda Spam Filter directly to the Exchange Server. so
far, everything I have read says I MUST upgrade the firewall software
to version 6.2 (or better.) This includes purchasing a Cisco service
contract for a device that has reached the end of its life cycle and
will no longer be supported.

I think it is a bunch of bullsh*t that you should have to pay for a
software upgrade in the first place. Software upgrades should be free
if you own the product. It seem to me to be EXTORTION and a result of
GREED in its worse sense.

Lars M. Hansen <badnews@hansenonline.net> wrote in message news:<6isja099klnevjjr1fov2lf2o63da96b5e@4ax.com>...
> On 17 May 2004 19:37:10 -0700, dbeaulieu spoketh
>
> >Does anyone know if you can do port forwarding on a PIX 506 with v
> >5.1?
> >
> >Is it totally necessary to upgrade the Cisco PIX 506 software?
> >
> >We have an Exchange server behind a Barracuda spam filter which is
> >behind a Cisco PIX 506.
> >
> >Since the Barracuda only filters on port 25, all other traffic
> >including our pop3 service is being blocked. Needless to say, users
> >outside of our network can no longer access their email.
> >
> >I need to re-route some ports around the Barrracuda.
> >
> >I have contacted Barracuda Networks, but have yet to receive a reply.
> >Up until now, for the most part they have been very responsive and
> >quick to reply. I am still hoping to hear back from them.
> >
> >Any help on this problem would be greatly appreciated. Any neccesary
> >information about the current configuration of the Cisco PIX 506 can
> >also be supplied if needed.
> >

> >Thanx,
> >Don
>
> How do you forward port 25 from the pix to the barracuda?
>
> Lars M. Hansen
> http://www.hansenonline.net
> (replace 'badnews' with 'news' in e-mail address)

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Exchange 2003 clients can no longer send mail via smtp
    ... I would start with the Firewall and RRAS first. ... Your first post you stated you could not Telnet into port 25 and now you are able too? ... Are you running RRAS and/or Firewall on your Exchange Server? ...
  • Re: not receiving external mail
    ... What I came to notice is that my home isp has port 25 completely blocked. ... When i had them try to telnet to me ... Does your Exchange server accept mail directly from the internet ... through the firewall or is there a SMTP gateway between the Exchange ...
    (microsoft.public.exchange.admin)
  • Re: DNS issues? Emails not getting recieved!
    ... turns out the firewalls port forwarding was totally ... any software firewall blocking the ports on the exchange server ... You need to open your firewall for SMTP trafic and have this ... I've setup an Exchange server to grab my mail for the ...
    (microsoft.public.exchange.setup)
  • Re: POP3 and Firewalls
    ... I have configured the smtp as the ip of the firewall and also opened port 25 ... >> The exchange server to the internet uses NAT. ...
    (microsoft.public.exchange.setup)
  • Re: PIX506E: Cisco insists that this configuration is correct, yet it doesnt work!
    ... > the Barracuda is on IP address 192.168.0.11. ... > ONLY on port 25 and blocks all of the other ports. ... The external IP address of the Exchange server ... provide the configuration info of the barracuda device. ...
    (comp.security.firewalls)