Re: Tutorial for Kerio 2.1.5 ?

From: Nick H (me_at_privacy.net)
Date: 05/16/04

Date: Sun, 16 May 2004 15:38:14 +0100

Nick H wrote:

> Jackeline D wrote:
>
>> I have been using Kerio 2.1.5 on XP Pro for a few months. The PC is
>> standalone, at home and connected to the Net by cable.
>>
>> When I look through the list of programs I am blocking I can't really
>> make much sense of what XP needs or doesn't need.
>>
>> Also I can't make a lot of sense of how Kerio works - for example I am
>> struggling to do things like (1) export my list of Open Connections At
>> Local Host and (2) export my Firewall Configuration.
>>
>> Is there a web site or group which helps new Kerio 2.1.5 users or even
>> tells them what they need to set up for basic broadband surfing.
>
> Yes, there is a user forum at http://www.dslreports.com/forum/kerio.
> look for BZ's sticky at the top. Also look at the Kerio and pre-v3.0
> Tiny PFW FAQ. There is also a group on Yahoo which I have not tried.
>
> V2.1.5, which I run, is well regarded. V4.x.x is slated as still being
> very buggy.
>
> I think some of BZ's anti-spoofing rules are OTT, but if you're paranoid
> they may be good. If you run IE, make sure you have a local loopback
> rule or it will crawl. I would also block any e-mail program from
> accessing remote port 80 at any address. In reality, I allow mail
> programs to access the news servers and mailboxes explicitly by Port and
> IP address and deny anything else (but log it in case some of the
> addresses change as the newsgroup ones did earlier this year)
>
> Also look at
> http://homepage.ntlworld.com/robin.d.h.walker/cmtips/security.html for
> how to set up the firewall security for basic broadband access (DNS and
> DHCP requirements)
>
> Nick
Jackeline,

Added to my last post, if you want to see which Win XP services you want
to have running have a look at http://www.blackviper.com/. You may be
able to disable a lot of stuff you're not using.

Nick

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Tutorial for Kerio 2.1.5 ?
    ... Nick H wrote: ... >> I have been using Kerio 2.1.5 on XP Pro for a few months. ... >> struggling to do things like export my list of Open Connections At ...
    (comp.security.misc)
  • Re: Tutorial for Kerio 2.1.5 ?
    ... > Also I can't make a lot of sense of how Kerio works - for example I ... > Connections At Local Host and export my Firewall Configuration. ... accessing remote port 80 at any address. ...
    (comp.security.firewalls)
  • Re: Tutorial for Kerio 2.1.5 ?
    ... > Also I can't make a lot of sense of how Kerio works - for example I ... > Connections At Local Host and export my Firewall Configuration. ... accessing remote port 80 at any address. ...
    (comp.security.misc)
  • Re: Constant traffic reported
    ... This makes your opened and listening connections list easier to follow ... The Task Manager is showing traffic at about 0.02% of total ... > According to Kerio, this receiving traffic is mainly to PFWADMIN.EXE. ... Netstat doesn't list any foreign ...
    (comp.security.firewalls)
  • Kerio Firewall shows alert more often than necessary
    ... my kerio firewall shows duplicate alerts when some ... application (e.g. real player) tries to open an internet connection. ... click on the check box to let kerio know that this is ok for future ... connections not specifing which port etc. ...
    (comp.security.firewalls)