Re: Symantec Desktop Firewall event log is always empty

From: Gerald Vogt (vogt_at_spamcop.net)
Date: 05/15/04

Date: Sat, 15 May 2004 18:52:44 GMT

Michael Gainey schrieb:
> I have been using the Symantec Desktop Firewall v2.01 for over a month now.

How old is that thing? ;-)

> The security and privacy sliders are set to medium. It seems to be
> working -- it has caught a few trojans so far.

What do you mean with "it has caught"? Did you download a trojan and
executed it and "it" caught it? Or did it just tell you that someone in
the internet tried to access a "trojan port" of your computer. But as
long as you did not install a trojan this is never a problem, because
there is nobody listening at that particular port. So this message isn't
very interesting and nothing that you could say the firewall protected
you against because there was nothing to protect against. And as any
good trojan knows how to reconfigure your firewall to let it's own
traffic through, well, I guess, you get the point...

> When I view the Event Log (from the Options button), it's always empty.
> Does anyone know how this could happen?

Have you tried the support pages of symantec? Not many people here will
run that old thing probably. I have found this with a few clicks:

http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/nip.nsf/5a5e9c8a8ac2ec3c882568f60060f23a/41e05dab9811dc7985256937003f2023?OpenDocument&src=bar_sch_nam

Search the rest of the knowledge base for your version to find anything
else...

Gerald

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Trojans and ADWARE / NORTON
    ... | I just installed Norton Personal Firewall 2002 recently and under ... | Firewall/Internet Access Control there's a Configure button where I find ... open one of the default Trojan rules and take a good look at it. ... subsequently shows up as "Unused Port Blocking" or "Implicit Block Rule", ...
    (comp.security.firewalls)
  • Re: Trojans and ADWARE / NORTON
    ... > | I just installed Norton Personal Firewall 2002 recently and under ... open one of the default Trojan rules and take a good look at it. ... > security alert pop-out) if someone 'appears' to be attempting to do this. ... > list you used to get to the Trojan Block rule settings). ...
    (comp.security.firewalls)
  • Re: Advice Needed, Best Practices to Elim. XP Virus
    ... Backdoor is a trojan not a virus... ... Enable the Windows XP Internet Connection Firewall... ... Delete your cookies and temporary internet files after each session. ...
  • Re: Is complete home security possible?
    ... My security before this occurred was ... >> firewall and virus program stopped loading with Windows. ... >> if the trojan somehow disabled them, but I know I didn't take them out ...
    (comp.security.firewalls)
  • Re: Firewalls and Anti-Virus Installation After Your Windows PC Is On The Internet
    ... >> the services Windows enables by default, ... > firewall for that. ... >> By now, the malicious hacker has installed their Trojan Horses, ... You come along and install say one firewall, ...
    (alt.computer.security)