Will Symantec 100 do the job...?

From: Michael A. Covington (look_at_www.covingtoninnovations.com.for.address)
Date: 05/07/04

Date: Thu, 6 May 2004 18:41:19 -0400

I'm looking for a firewall to connect between our departmental LAN and the
campus-wide network, in order to block ports that we aren't using, and,
potentially, block all packets from certain IP numbers that have been
identified as cracker sites.

I don't need DHCP or NAT; I want traffic to go directly through my firewall
to the various machines, which are DHCP-served from a campus DHCP server.

Will the Symantec Firewall/VPN Appliance, Model 100, do this job? It is
such a multifunction device that I'm having a little trouble figuring out
from the documentation how to get it to do as *little* as I want. I haven't
bought one yet.

Thanks!

--
Michael A. Covington - Artificial Intelligence Ctr - University of Georgia
"In the core C# language it is simply not possible to have an uninitialized

Relevant Pages

  • messenger service?
    ... Set up a firewall to block ports 137-139 as well as port ... you can disable the Messenger service from ... >update, is it a virus, is it a gator-like program?? ...
  • Re: Messenger Service Pop-Ups when no programs are running
    ... > That's a good bandaid, but the gaping flesh wound is still a problem. ... > Firewall is the answer, ... Block ports you don't want exposed - whichis ...
    (microsoft.public.security)
  • Re: Can you block ports withOUT a firewall? I heard you could by using NETSTAT
    ... You can block ports without a firewall, but not using Netstat. ... or IP Filter. ...
    (comp.security.firewalls)
  • Re: pop-up advertisement "virus"
    ... disabling the messenger service is just a bandaid, and getting a firewall is ... the only real way to block ports. ... Herb Martin wrote: ...
    (microsoft.public.security)
  • Re: Opening JavaScript
    ... > Forgot to mention - Pop-Up blockers are OFF. ... (Javascript and Java are really two different entities, ... the latter a programming language, and the former used often in HTML) ... Is the XP firewall active too? ...