Re: Newbie Q

From: Gremlin (Gremlin.15sy9q_at_mail.webservertalk.com)
Date: 05/05/04

Date: Wed, 5 May 2004 16:02:09 -0500

Simon Woods wrote:
> *Hi
>
> I have a home network connected to the web via DSL, a freeware
> Sygate
> Firewall and a Proxy server. I can access the web fine using IE and
> can
> browse web pages. The firewall/proxy are installed on the machine
> connected
> to the internet. I have two other machines connected via a lan.
>
> These two other machines can access the web via IE but I can't get
> gaming
> (nor MSN Messanger) working on them and here I'm getting a bit out of
> my
> depth.
>
> I believe the game (Jedi Outcast) supports socks5 and I've an entry
> in the
> proxy server to pass through socks5 on port 1080. But I've really no
> idea
> what I need to do to the firewall to permit this through. I've set up
> a rule
> to permit udp on local and remote port 1080.
>
> But what other things are there to consider/do
>
> Any pointers would be gratefully received
>
> Simon *

Simon,

I'm fairly new with this stuff myself. Perhaps you need to permit TCP
on 1080. UDP doesn't do all that lost packet checking/resend request
stuff that TCP does.

Gremlin

--
Gremlin

  • Re: Norton 2005 Int Security, Trend PCcillin or Zone Alarm ???????
    ... > I want security I can run on both machines. ... System overhead is higher than standard firewall applications. ... Symantec products do not remove (uninstall) well. ... Micro Trends PC-Cillan is very good (possibly the best in home network ...
    (alt.computer.security)
  • Re: install
    ... You just need to set up your network correctly. ... start by running the Network Setup Wizard on all machines (see ... Problems sharing files between computers on a network are generally caused ... by 1) a misconfigured firewall or overlooked firewall (including a stateful ...
  • Re: Cant Connect To Network Printer
    ... I have sharing turned on. ... start by running the Network Setup Wizard on all machines (see ... by 1) a misconfigured firewall or overlooked firewall (including a stateful ... put all computers in the same Workgroup. ...
  • Re: Two Vista machine on the same network cant see each other.
    ... -Network set to "Private Network" on both machines ... -Public sharing ON on both machines ... a misconfigured firewall or overlooked firewall (including a stateful ... identical user accounts and passwords on all Workgroup machines; ...
  • Re: Shared Printer Problem
    ... "Printer status cannot be displayed with port that is currently running." ... file/printer sharing and then install the correct drivers for your printer ... start by running the Network Setup Wizard on all machines (see ... by 1) a misconfigured firewall or overlooked firewall (including a stateful ...