Re: Newbie Q

From: Gremlin (Gremlin.15sy9q_at_mail.webservertalk.com)
Date: 05/05/04

Date: Wed, 5 May 2004 16:02:09 -0500

Simon Woods wrote:
> *Hi
>
> I have a home network connected to the web via DSL, a freeware
> Sygate
> Firewall and a Proxy server. I can access the web fine using IE and
> can
> browse web pages. The firewall/proxy are installed on the machine
> connected
> to the internet. I have two other machines connected via a lan.
>
> These two other machines can access the web via IE but I can't get
> gaming
> (nor MSN Messanger) working on them and here I'm getting a bit out of
> my
> depth.
>
> I believe the game (Jedi Outcast) supports socks5 and I've an entry
> in the
> proxy server to pass through socks5 on port 1080. But I've really no
> idea
> what I need to do to the firewall to permit this through. I've set up
> a rule
> to permit udp on local and remote port 1080.
>
> But what other things are there to consider/do
>
> Any pointers would be gratefully received
>
> Simon *

Simon,

I'm fairly new with this stuff myself. Perhaps you need to permit TCP
on 1080. UDP doesn't do all that lost packet checking/resend request
stuff that TCP does.

Gremlin

--
Gremlin

  • Re: Norton 2005 Int Security, Trend PCcillin or Zone Alarm ???????
    ... > I want security I can run on both machines. ... System overhead is higher than standard firewall applications. ... Symantec products do not remove (uninstall) well. ... Micro Trends PC-Cillan is very good (possibly the best in home network ...
    (alt.computer.security)
  • Re: install
    ... You just need to set up your network correctly. ... start by running the Network Setup Wizard on all machines (see ... Problems sharing files between computers on a network are generally caused ... by 1) a misconfigured firewall or overlooked firewall (including a stateful ...
  • Re: Cant Connect To Network Printer
    ... I have sharing turned on. ... start by running the Network Setup Wizard on all machines (see ... by 1) a misconfigured firewall or overlooked firewall (including a stateful ... put all computers in the same Workgroup. ...
  • Re: Two Vista machine on the same network cant see each other.
    ... -Network set to "Private Network" on both machines ... -Public sharing ON on both machines ... a misconfigured firewall or overlooked firewall (including a stateful ... identical user accounts and passwords on all Workgroup machines; ...
  • Re: Shared folders on Xp cannot be found from Vista
    ... Assign passwords and see if it works now. ... firewall misconfiguration issue. ... Includes details about sharing printers as well as files ... start by running the Network Setup Wizard on all machines (see ...