Re: Starting firewall-service before net-service

From: Duane Arnold (notme_at_notme.com)
Date: 05/03/04

Date: Mon, 03 May 2004 03:33:33 GMT

> I have a problem concerning that my pcs logs on to the internet before
> the firewall even started, and therefore I am vulnerable for a short
> time. My Pc get viruses in that short time.
> My question is: how do i start the firewall before my pc goes into the
> net?

You can get a cheap NAT router that cost as much as Sygate and put it in
front of the machine. The router is already up and running, because it's a
standalone device that is not booted like the PC.

You can use Sygate behind the NAT router if you like.

Duane :)

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Firewall- is it creating problems
    ... I have used Sygate before on a couple of computers without any problems. ... are using a NAT router you could disable it. ... I also recently installed Sygate free firewall. ... connectionevery 20-30 minutes, requiring a reboot. ...
    (microsoft.public.win2000.security)
  • Re: Firewall question.
    ... > I have been running the XP firewall, but now have a firewall made by ... IPsec will get to the TCP/IP connection first at boot and XP's ... you may want to get a cheap NAT router and use Sygate ...
    (comp.security.firewalls)
  • Re: Hardware, software or both?
    ... > checking the Sygate Personal firewall and like it a lot. ... You can get a cheap NAT router that will catch most attacks before it ... Think layered protection and not depend on one single element is going to ...
    (comp.security.firewalls)
  • Re: firewalls
    ... but a cheap NAT router will do every ... thing that you need if your are using Sygate. ... Some NAT devices allow you to block ... If you want a real firewall, not just a NAT router, they start around ...
    (comp.security.misc)
  • RE: Workbook and Viruses
    ... Protecting your workbook from viruses? ... either a software firewall such as the one built ... For more permanent installations, a firewalling or even just a plain NAT ... Keep the machine clean and you'll keep your Excel workbook clean. ...
    (microsoft.public.excel.misc)