Re: kitty.avast.com scanning my ports and internal process trying to access their ip

From: Ondrej Vlcek (hugo100_at_seznam.cz)
Date: 05/03/04

Date: 2 May 2004 15:04:55 -0700

> Most likely, it was done by what is called a drive by where software can
> be installed on your machine as you surf a site. Apparently, Kerio and
> its IDS do not look for this kind of activity in the HTTP at Layer 7 or 5
> network traffic to prevent it. However, you should be able to set the
> browser to prevent this kind of thing from happening.

Hi, I work as a program manager for ALWIL Software, the makers of
avast antivirus www.avast.com. Indeed kitty.avast.com is one of our
updating Internet servers.

I have to controvert your accusation that our servers are spreading
some kind of malware or are sending unsolicited packets to your
machine.

1. Our Internet presentation does not contain ANY activex, scripting,
java etc. that could in any way cause what you're describing.

2. Unless you install any of our software, no contact is done between
your machine and our servers - of course unless you manually initiate
it. Even if you have our software installed, the communication done by
the program is only for the sole purpose of updating the virus
database and/or the scanning engine.

3. Our servers are completely passive -- they don't initiate any
requests, they just serve.

As your accusation is quite serious, I'd like to ask you to either
prove your claims or find a real cause of the problem you're
experiencing. In any case, please keep us informed.

Thank you.

Ondrej Vlcek
program manager
ALWIL Software

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Linux vs FreeBSD vs SCO
    ... This happened in the past and I've not done a lot with Linux ... things I ever learned about robustness in servers - and I only putz ... Then there is the rpm upgrade path. ... often you install an upgrade, and you find it needs something else, ...
    (comp.unix.sco.misc)
  • Is FreeBSD ready for desktop (Mozilla Flash)
    ... monitor,, somehow the install fails to detect ... "Macromedia Flash plugin is not available for FreeBSD. ... I quote again "Install the www/linuxpluginwrapper port. ... servers, ...
    (comp.unix.bsd.freebsd.misc)
  • Re: Next openSUSE
    ... Tell someone you know how to install a problem. ... I would have had to use free servers of pay for, ... There are tiny and maxi fonts for that. ... only works if the work ants are kept in the dark and cannot get an overview. ...
    (alt.os.linux.suse)
  • Re: upgrade NT 4.0 to Windows 2000 AD
    ... Install fresh BDC, promote to PDC and upgrade it as win2k AD. ... Introduce two fresh installed W2K3 member servers to the domain and ... w2k3 member servers. ...
  • Multiple problems with Win2003 SP2
    ... servers servers running Win2003 R2, but on a further two 32-bit member ... reboot = No, reboot required = No ... Content Install Installation Failure: Windows failed to install the ...