Re: Help with Windows VPN setup and Astaro firewall

From: Wolfgang Kueter (wolfgang_at_shconnect.de)
Date: 05/02/04

    Date: Sun, 02 May 2004 23:21:37 +0200

    arabub wrote:

    > My guess is that the "malformed message" errors refer to the fact that
    > the package checksums are being made invalid by the NATting of my
    > local firewall.

    Your guess is right. NAT destroys IPSec.

    > However, the exact same firewall does not cause any problems for my
    > VPN connections to a different remote firewall! So I doubt that it's
    > my local firewall.

    > Connection from Connection to Result
    > Local Win2k workstation Remote firewall 1 (pix) Success

    Due to cisco workarounds.

    > Local Win2k workstation remote firewall 2 (Astaro) "malformed
    > message"

    Normal behaivior according to the IPSec specification.

    > I am using a Cisco VPN client on the Win2k workstation, and I verified
    > that the VPN client's configuration files for both VPNs are identical,
    > with the exception of the remote gateway and the user authentication
    > information.
    >
    > From this I conclude that the problem must be with my Astaro
    > firewall's IPSec configuration.

    No, pixes just offer some IMHO rather dirty workarounds for the problem.

    > However, I tried many combinations of
    > settings on the Astaro firewall, but have not found a working
    > configuration.
    > Any further ideas?

    Yes, as always simply stick to the golden rule: "Terminate the VPN on the
    gateway, never on a client behind it!"

    Wolfgang

    --
    A foreign body and a foreign mind