Re: WinVNC

From: Spacen Jasset (spacenjasset_at_yahoo.co.uk)
Date: 04/29/04

Date: Thu, 29 Apr 2004 21:07:09 +0100

"*Vanguard*" <no-email@post-reply-in-newsgroup.invalid> wrote in message
news:KeGdnT-mv-Sg0wzdRVn-hA@comcast.com...
> But the OP said the potential customers CAN browse web pages. If they
> are still using the default port 80 to do so, why wouldn't the VNC
> client which was also using port 80 be able to get through? I suppose

They can but...
> server. Or does that merely present a web page to download a Java
> applet to the customer where they then locally run the applet (which
> would make the real VNC server connection but without using HTTP)?

You are exactly right. JavaVNC then connects on port 5900 as normal to the
VNC server (through the browser). You can't really stream data through a
http connection, well not in a sensible way ( but see htthost.com if you
happen to be interested in this ).

Basically you want an any port out rule ( well you need 5900 anyway ) -
quite a few companies operate a policy like this, but then again quite a few
have become draconian and only allow outgoing connections through a proxy.
I.e. nothing in or out through the firewall.

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Cannot ping remote PC
    ... friend's PC (I think it was just called VNC Server (application mode, ... and not service mode) so that she will have to instigate the connection. ... If they have the VNC icon in the system tray, they should have an option to add a client, they just enter your IP address (and port if using non-standard numbers) then the connection is established but you control their PC, it's easier for you to manage your firewall then talk them through configuring theirs. ...
    (uk.telecom.broadband)
  • Re: Using Remote Desktop From an SBS Domain
    ... when you tried to RDP while attached directly to a port on your router? ... Internet to initiate an IP conversation with your computer. ... This situation is different than if you ran your own NAT connection sharing ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
  • Re: Correction
    ... Normally to physically disconnect is just a matter of reaching for the ... >> I have an ADSL connection which polls my computer from time to time, ... > disallow each and every port with Windows Firewall? ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.messenger)
  • Re: Still cant connect to RWW or OWA remotely
    ... it certainly appears to be something about the SBS configuration. ... Meridian.local Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection: ... Windows SMALL BUSINESS SERVER 2003 Windows IP Configuration ... 192.168.254.254) directly to a port on the router and then ...