Re: advice for Network Virus/Firewall protection

From: Somebody (somebody_at_nospam.russdoucet.com)
Date: 04/26/04

    Date: Sun, 25 Apr 2004 21:43:51 -0400

    "Ian Roberts" <sorry@NOSPAM.com> wrote in message
    news:c6aoj5$qlo$1@ngspool-d02.news.aol.com...
    > Hi
    >
    > I'm very experienced with stand alones and just need some info about
    > antivirus and firewalls for networks.
    >
    > My uncle has a small office network which was put together some years ago.
    > It
    > comprises 1 server and 3 clients - all running windows 98.
    >
    > He's asked me to sort out a few problems. Which I wont go into here.
    >
    > One thing I want to ensure is that they have adequate virus and firewall
    > protection.
    >
    > I'd appreciate any advice on suitable software for a small office network
    > that is approx 5 years old - they dont have the budget to upgrade their
    pc's
    > and software just now. And it seems adequate anyway for the level of work
    > they are doing.
    >
    > Also links to any sites with relevant info would be very helpful.
    >
    > Thanks for your time.
    >
    > Ian

    Put in a real appliance such as the Fortigate 50A. It will do autmoatically
    updated gateway antivirus and intrusion detection, serve as your VPN server
    if you move to that direction, as well as providing firewall and gateway
    services to your network. Overall costs are minimal compared to fooling
    around with personal firewalls and goofy LinkSys devices. It can even do
    rudimentary spam filtering though this feature is still in its infancy. All
    of this at near wire speed and with the reliability of an purpose built
    appliance with no moving parts.

    http://www.fortinet.com

    -Russ.

    • RE: [fw-wiz] Firewalls v. Router ACLs
      ... people to take in consideration in network design and layout. ... here and the old firewalls list often emphasized an approach that avoided ... The logging alert features alone turn this layer into a IDS as ... > An appropriately sized router will not have any performance problems. ...
      (Firewall-Wizards)
    • [fw-wiz] IDS/IPS and LOGS
      ... nasty behavior is happening on your network (where your network is ... easily turn your IPS into a big denial of service attack. ... My guess is that most of the Worlds firewalls and IDS/IPS only have half ... I noticed that there is a big emphasis on log parsing while there should ...
      (Firewall-Wizards)
    • Re: Establish persistant outbound connection for covert application
      ... which firewalls are running etc.) and then communicate its ... the actual network layer. ... They do have 2 network interfaces in case I want to chain them between a PC ... They also have a wireless interface so I can hook into the machine if I am ...
      (Security-Basics)
    • Re: Going meta (was RE: [fw-wiz] Ok, so now we have a firewall...)
      ... but today's firewalls let too much stuff back ... > why people feel they need to compromise. ... Last spring we completely re-engineered the network for a large school ... All these segments are set up on separate VLANs and communicate with each ...
      (Firewall-Wizards)
    • Re: Linksys router as Firewall
      ... > There are many different levels of firewalls. ... acts as an interface between two networks (e.g., the Internet and an ... protecting the internal network from electronic attacks originating from ... filtering outgoing traffic for security and network usage rules ...
      (comp.security.firewalls)