Re: Sonicwall TZ170 and software-based VPN problems

From: mojo (post_other01_at_webbix.com)
Date: 04/24/04

Date: Sat, 24 Apr 2004 11:27:36 -0400

In article <17d0fb54.0404050925.51d1417c@posting.google.com>,
 rotfl@wrongmail.com (Joe User) wrote:

> Hello. I thought I'd see if others are having the same problem I am
> with a new TZ170.
>
> I've had a couple of older Sonicwall SOHO units that have functioned
> well. They protect my home network. In order for me to work from
> home, my company requires that I use the AT&T Network Client software
> VPN product to connect to our corporations network. With the SOHO
> units, it works just fine.
>
> I recently upgraded to a TZ170 and for what ever reason, this software
> no longer works. I have contacted AT&T and they gave me the list of
> TCP and UDP ports their product uses. I have created services for
> these ports to pass through the firewall but still no luck. I have
> contacted Sonicwall support and they are trying to figure it out as
> well.
>
> My question is -- is anyone else successfully using a software-based
> VPN through a TZ170? Please respond to the list as the e-mail listed
> is a spam-eliminator address.
>
> Thanks

We have just purchased and had a consultant configure a TZ170 for our
business. I have little experience but can at least provide info that we
are using 'raccoon' built into Mac OS X machines with a third party
client (Mac only I would assume) VPNTracker(basically a GUI for
configuring the unix items). It does work. There are some caveats though
as we can not set/get a LAN IP connecting and appear on the network as
either the remote LAN IP or if accessing via public IP that is used. The
software listens on the configured subnet which matches that of the
SonicWALL and sends any network traffic on that subnet to the VPN.

So, in theory, software based VPN is working on our TZ170.

regards,

joe

Relevant Pages

  • Re: 2003 SBS server Licenses
    ... > Sonicwall and I have VPN enabled on the sonicwall, ... > VPN client on my laptop and connect to the Network. ... using a Sonicwall VPN router and connecting to it with ...
  • Re: Sonicwall VPN?
    ... When you login through VPN does this litterally put you ON THE ... > see the computers on the destination network through "My Network ... The SonicWall Manual makes it clear that, ... Or an lmhost file on the client. ...
    (comp.security.firewalls)
  • Re: VPN Choices
    ... > network behind a rather old Sonicwall, ... > Sonicwall license does not provide for VPN. ... > figured out how much it will cost to add VPN to our license. ...
    (comp.security.firewalls)
  • Re: sonicwall destination network question
    ... VPN you set up on your local SNWL, since that is about the only thing ... > I'm trying to set up a simple sonicwall to sonicwall VPN but have ... > Remote Network: ... > 192.168.168.*, etc), but these don't help me since the remote network is ...
    (comp.security.firewalls)
  • Re: [Full-disclosure] Remote Desktop Command Fixation Attacks
    ... This set of steps is redundant in many places, and it's also enormously expensive, since you're using no less than three different expensive bits of networking hardware (AP, PIX, VPN Concentrator), in addition to a bunch of x86 server hardware, windows server licenses, and at least one ISA license. ... Your computers necessarily don't have full access to your network infrastructure when they aren't logged on, so GPOs, software updates, etc can't be applied at the times you want them to be applied. ... Turning on, enabling, and implementing every possible security setting and device you think of is not defence in depth, and will probably only have two effects - your users won't use your wireless network, and you'll burn so much cash you won't have any left to spend on *useful* security measures. ...
    (Full-Disclosure)