Re: VPN server (hardware) and VPN client (Software) - both with changing IP. Can it be?

From: David Green (wouldnt_at_youliketoknow.com)
Date: 04/20/04

Date: Tue, 20 Apr 2004 20:41:12 GMT

Sure it's possible.

There might be the occasional small delay, however, during the time
the firewall/hw box takes to inform the dynamic dns service that
its ip address has changed. Only you can assess whether you/your org.
can tolerate this delay.

What kind of bandwidth/connections will you be using?
How many clients will be using the VPN functionality simultanesously?
What services and on how many machines will you need to access behind
the box? Will you want content filtering? WAN failover? What other
features?

I like Zyxel's ZyWALL series of boxes, since I believe they offer
the best value for the price. Then again, I'm a dealer.

Other good devices in the same price range are the Netscreens,
and some of the Sonicwalls. Of these two, I prefer the Netscreens
for ease of use. When you evaluate pricing, make sure you compare
apples with apples. That is, make sure the units you're comparing not
only have the same features, but also have the same number of client
licenses for the same price. Many people overlook this issue.

Most important to me is intercompatibility. If you think your needs
will ever grow (pretyy likely) you'll want to stick to one brand for
all the VPN boxes, or at least make sure you buy a unit that is
compatible with a lot of other VPN boxes and VPN software clients.

Your best bet at that point is to decide which features are important,
since with these boxes come many, many features.

Hope this helps!

Brad

On Fri, 26 Mar 2004 09:18:01 -0500, "NoOne" <NoOne@Me.com> wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I would like to setup VPN solution for up to 5 remote clients. I would like
>to have VPN server as a hardware box and client could be software.
>Could this be done when both server and client have changing IP address?
>For server we have registered with dyndns.org, so we have constant dns name
>that points to changing IP address. Will this help?
>
>If this could be done, what VPN server box would you recommend to buy?
>
>Thank you

Relevant Pages

  • Re: ISA2004 kills VPN outbound
    ... Can you please tell me some information about the remote VPN Server? ... Do you have firewall client installed? ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
  • Re: WOW - Changing Network Subnet on SBS2003 Got me crazy
    ... VPN and not able to access network shares ... I have tried all this, restarted/started dns & netlogon, cleared server Wins ... Resolve host names from a client machine to access files and map drives ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
  • Re: ISA2004 kills VPN outbound
    ... I have the same problem connecting to several different VPN servers. ... > it use a hardware router or a windows-based computer to be its VPN Server? ... > connection will fail in some cases when a hardware firewall resides in the ... > |> FW client and configure the client as a SecureNAT client. ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
  • Re: Could someone tell me how to locate things in the network?
    ... So if you do have WINS you can enable WINS lookup on your DNS ... resolve this issue or you need to supply WINS entries tot he client. ... >> recommend doing is looking at a Client that has a VPN connection. ... >> registering into DNS properly on the internal network. ...
    (microsoft.public.isa.configuration)
  • Re: Need help with naming conflict
    ... I'm talking about direct client to office VPNs from their home ... DNS naming for resolving a computer name? ... I am sending the internal DNS server to the VPN clients, ...
    (microsoft.public.win2000.dns)