SonicWall VPN DNS refresh problems

From: Patrick Moreau (patrickmoreau_at_hotmail.com)
Date: 04/20/04

Date: 20 Apr 2004 09:55:38 -0700

Hi,

First please do not reply to this email address as it no longer
exists, just post back to the newsgroup.

I have a problem with this VPN configuration:
- We have a SonicWall 230 Pro
- We use the SonicWall Global VPN Client on our home Windows XP
computers
- When connected the SonicWall network adapter does show up as being
properly configured; meaning it has a valid IP and its DNS server
entries are also properly configured. I am also able to ping the DNS
servers from the VPN connection.

The problem is the following: when we connect to the VPN to access our
office network the DNS cached entries are never refreshed when we
connect. So when ever a computer ends its IP lease from our DHCP the
home computer will not know about it. So trying to access a computer X
which had the IP 192.168.1.100 but with its new lease got the IP
192.168.1.110 will not work, pinging the computer X will comeback as
unreachable from IP 192.168.1.100 when in fact its IP changed.

Now if I do a "ipconfig /flushdns" and "ipconfig /registerdns" all the
DNS entries from our DNS server are refresh and I can now access X,
but asking all my users to do the same is a bit of a problem.

Any ideas how to resolve this??

Thanks

Patrick Moreau

Relevant Pages

  • Re: DNS While PPTP / IPSec VPN is open
    ... You have set IPSec VPN between SBS server and a remote hardware firewall, ... DNS While PPTP / IPSec VPN is open ... |> Any machine using SBS services must use only the SBS as DNS server. ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
  • Re: DNS servers to be used
    ... I occasionally have the same problem with my VPN connections. ... I do like the response "There is No DNS server on adapters" the obvious lack ... The dhcp server tells my wireless adapter to use the router ...
  • Re: VPN connection cannot resolve host name
    ... I got the VPN up again. ... I believe this means the DNS server is reachable. ... List of NetBt transports currently bound to the Redir ...
    (microsoft.public.win2000.networking)
  • Re: DNS Resolver Uses Local DNS Server rather than VPN Provided DN
    ... It involves a registry edit for the VPN client, ... DNS server as their local DNS (i.e. if the local DHCP is passing out a public ... >>> client is resolving the DNS name to the external IP address. ...
  • Windows VPN Using Local DNS Instead of Remote DNS
    ... I saw several threads here on eggheadcafe.com about VPN DNS failures, and none of the threads had answers on them. ... I was able to resolve the VPN DNS issue with the instructions in this article: ... FQDN), instead, nslookup uses my local dns server and return the public IP ...