Re: BEFSX41 Firmware FYI

From: John Brock (jbrock_at_panix.com)
Date: 04/04/04

Date: 4 Apr 2004 16:52:43 -0400

In article <c4prmj$4ig$1@panix2.panix.com>,
John Brock <jbrock@panix.com> wrote:
>In article <c41v2e$8ts$1@panix1.panix.com>,
>John Brock <jbrock@panix.com> wrote:
>>In article <rQN8c.5439$Hm4.2788@nwrddc03.gnilink.net>,
>>John <jon@j8k.don> wrote:

>>>FYI
>>>
>>>BEFSX41 - Instant Broadband™EtherFast®Cable/DSL Firewall Router with
>>>4-Port Switch/VPN EndPoint
>>>
>>>Firmware Date : 3/17/2004
>>>Firmware File Size : 490KB
>>>Firmware Version : 1.50.9
>>>
>>>I just updated.... had to reset some stuff, including my password. It
>>>seems to be working okay. I use a lot of the default settings, though.

>>I flashed mine a few days ago and had problems. The upgrade seemed
>>to be successful, but most connect attempts failed. I had to flash
>>it several times before the router was usable, and it seems to be
>>OK now, but I still haven't used it enough to be sure the problems
>>aren't coming back.
>>
>>I flashed it in the hope that the 10 minute inactive telnet session
>>timeouts I'd been seeing would go away, but after an initial test
>>which seemed positive the timeouts returned. Do you know anything
>>about this issue?

>Just a followup. I had to flash the router once or twice again
>after I posted the previous article. I find it very strange that
>the router would behave differently after different flashes! But
>its current behavior is close to acceptable. The only problem is
>that sometimes the router doesn't connect properly on startup,
>which never happened before I flashed it, and I have play around
>with the web interface or with yanking the plugs on the router or
>the DSL modem before there is a usable connection. But once it
>gets connected it seems to be OK. And on a positive note, at least
>after the most recent flash the 10 minute telnet timeout problem
>has gone away, which makes a big difference to me since I telnet
>a lot. :-)

Whoa! After posting this I decided to take another look at the
BEFSX41 firmware page, and 1.50.9 is gone, replaced by an older
version, 1.45.3. I guess Linksys decided 1.50.9 was not ready for
prime time.

--
John Brock
jbrock@panix.com

Relevant Pages

  • Re: BEFSX41 Firmware FYI
    ... John Brock wrote: ... >I flashed it in the hope that the 10 minute inactive telnet session ... >which seemed positive the timeouts returned. ... I had to flash the router once or twice again ...
    (comp.security.firewalls)
  • Re: BEFSX41 Firmware FYI
    ... I didn't realize that you have to flash it with no other network activity ... Wallwatcher and Wallreviewer work fine (I run ... thinks it's a BEFS series router. ... an amateur built the Ark; ...
    (comp.security.firewalls)
  • Re: cisco 857 password recovery
    ... we can do ctrl-break when it loads the IOS image to ... enter rommon. ... the flash module. ... I would imagine that any 850 series router ...
    (comp.dcom.sys.cisco)
  • Re: Swap file on USB
    ... The only interface the router has is a USB port. ... I've given it a 128MB swap partition on the ... flash, but I don't think this gets used too much. ... Any suggestions of the best way to run a swap file on USB? ...
    (comp.os.linux.hardware)
  • Re: Feasible to implement a router on a system on a chip?
    ... instruction set, FLASH, and RAM. ... Lots of flash and ram, ... And this was in a router designed to handle T3 speeds. ...
    (comp.arch.embedded)