Re: Proper "stealth" behavior

From: John Brock (jbrock_at_panix.com)
Date: 03/26/04

Date: 26 Mar 2004 14:57:01 -0500

In article <c420hr$i53$1@panix1.panix.com>,
John Brock <jbrock@panix.com> wrote:
[...]

>In particular, when I first got the router I used the same service
>and was told that all ports were operating in "stealth" mode. But
>I think the service has been expanded since then. This time I ran
>the "All Service Ports" test (which I'm not sure existed last time),
>and the first time I ran it all the ports showed up in green
>("stealth"), except port 113 (blue, or "closed"), until I got to
>the very end of the test, when the last two dozen or so ports showed
>up as blue. But when I repeated the test *everything* came up as
>blue (except port 80 and one other that I can't remember)!

[...]

>So what I want to know is whether this is normal behavior for a
>firewall. I don't see any reason for this behavior (why not just
>stay in stealth mode?), and my concern is that maybe I've damaged
>the router by trying to flash it, and at some point the firewall
>may fail entirely. But OTOH maybe this was always the firewall's
>behavior, and I just never did this test before (or never ran it
>twice in a row).

Actually it would be interesting to learn how different firewalls
handle this test. Maybe some other people here could give it a
try. Just find the ShieldsUP! link at http://www.grc.com/default.htm,
run the "All Service Ports" test twice in a row, and let us know
whether the two results are the same.

--
John Brock
jbrock@panix.com

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Wi-Fi ActiveSync Only First Time
    ... but I have disabled the firewall ... > about "Wi-Fi ActiveSync Only First Time": ... >> Then if I try to sync again, even immediately following the first sync, ...
    (microsoft.public.pocketpc.wireless)
  • Re: Software Firewall with popup blocker that actually works?
    ... > For the first time in months I have no software firewall loaded. ... > I've recently bought Kerio with AVG bundle - gave up on it. ... I've been using WebWasher as a web content filter for years. ...
    (uk.comp.homebuilt)
  • RE: Updating Bind & OpenSSL on 6.1-Stable/Release
    ... Don't assume that just because this is the first time I've raised concerns ... time) so the ports collection is the easiest way to update/upgrade software. ... maintainer make them install like the originals were? ... Or maybe the original install/release needs to be changed to install ...
    (freebsd-questions)
  • Re: Releng-6.2 upgrade HINT for iwi0 user !!
    ... well this posting is send before, part of, the specific upgrade hint ... seems to be same as the first time, and it rubbed me the wrong way the ... the upgrade to FreeBSD-6.2-RELENG iwi0 will NOT work, ... ports & src update was preceded with a gian heap of fluff. ...
    (freebsd-questions)
  • Re: Blaster worm virus
    ... When a first time buyer first connects to the internet for the first time, ... should supply IE with their Firewall enabled it can always be ... > What You Should Know About the Blaster Worm ...
    (microsoft.public.security.virus)