Re: SpyBot vs. PestPatrol

From: Big Will (SPAMWSPAMiSPAMlSPAMlSPAMBSPAM4SPAMeSPAMvSPAAAAAMeSPAMMITTYrSPAAAAAM_at_nIeDONTtLIK)
Date: 03/11/04

Date: Thu, 11 Mar 2004 00:11:07 -0800

Peter wrote:

> On Mon, 08 Mar 2004 15:41:36 -0800, Big Will
> <SPAMWSPAMiSPAMlSPAMlSPAMBSPAM4SPAMeSPAMvSPAAAAAMeSPAMMITTYrSPAAAAAM@nIeDONTtLIKEzSPAMero.net>
> wrote:
>

>>eugenio.v wrote:
>>

>>>Hi everybody, forgive me for my trivial question
>>>I was just wondering if PestPatrol is much better than SpyBot or if they
>>>are more or less the same.
>>>What would you use?
>>>Thanks
>>>

>>They're both free, so why not try them both. But don't overlook
>>Lavasoft AdAware (which in my experience seems to have updates more
>>frequently then Spybot S&D). I'm using both Lavasoft and Spybot,
>>haven't really tried Pest Patrol, though.
>

> Hi SpyBot experts!
>
> I have been a (Paid up) devotee of PestPatrol fo quite a while.
> Because of the nice things said, in this thread, about SpyBot I have
> downloaded, updated and run it within the last hour. I am
> impressed. It detected (alleged) nasty things that PestPatrol had
> not.
>
> But, and here is the question needing SpyBot experience, please how
> do I tell what the program is scanning? I may have missed it but I
> saw no indication and I am left wondering whether it just scans the
> C: drive. I have worked my way through the settings. Have I missed
> an option to select which partitions will be scanned?
>
> TIA
>
> Peter

I went ahead and downloaded pestpatrol free edition and it found one
vulneribility (WMP) that spybot missed. As for actual spies, nope.
However, Spybot S&D will miss some spies/adware that lavasoft adaware
(www.lavasoft.nu) will pick up. I'd recommend you try using them both,
plus with AdAware, you can tell it exactly what to scan. With spybot,
I'm not sure exactly how the scanning engine works, or if it's even
possible to configure it to a tougher/easier setting.

--
William
If it don't work, hit it

Relevant Pages

  • Re: SpyBot vs. PestPatrol
    ... > I was just wondering if PestPatrol is much better than SpyBot or if they ... Lavasoft AdAware (which in my experience seems to have updates more ... frequently then Spybot S&D). ... If it works after hitting it or kicking it, then it doesn't matter if ...
    (comp.security.firewalls)
  • Re: SpyBot vs. PestPatrol
    ... >> I have been a devotee of PestPatrol fo quite a while. ... >> Because of the nice things said, in this thread, about SpyBot I have ... >status bar at the bottom of the page. ... be an indicator of what is being scanned but more an indicator of ...
    (comp.security.firewalls)
  • Critical and Urgent!!!
    ... I can second that on PestPatrol, yet I still run 5 spyware ... I have Spyguard, Spyblaster, Spybot ... Search & Destroy, PestPatrol and GuardBar. ... >A better trojan remover is Pest Patrol. ...
  • Re: OT:Webhancer
    ... "CWatters" wrote in message ... > The latest versions of Adaware, PestPatrol and Spybot S&D all seem ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: spyware problems
    ... > Try PestPatrol, I've found that to be the best for not only finding ... but also blocking them out. ... >> I have Adware and Spybot, and have run both programs to ... Outgoing mail is certified Virus Free. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics)