Re: Cost of cheap but decent hardware firewall

From: Bill Unruh (unruh_at_string.physics.ubc.ca)
Date: 03/10/04

Date: Wed, 10 Mar 2004 18:45:07 +0000 (UTC)

Piotr Makley <pmakley@mail.com> writes:

]I have had a few problems configuring a software personal firewall
]that I think it may be useful to get a hardware firewall to block
]indound traffic. Then I would use the software PF only to block
]outbound.

Go out and buy an old Pentium 2 system, put on a minimal Linux and two
ethernet cards, and use it as a firewall.

]But what sort of device should I consider getting? I don't want an
]expensive hardware firewall. But I don't want to get something so
]cheap that it is too basic and too few features.

It will have as many features as you want to put on it.

But maybe you should tell us what your software problems are first, so
that perhaps you do not need anything else.

Relevant Pages

  • Cost of cheap but decent hardware firewall
    ... I have had a few problems configuring a software personal firewall ... that I think it may be useful to get a hardware firewall to block ... Any recommendations? ...
    (comp.security.misc)
  • Cost of cheap but decent hardware firewall
    ... I have had a few problems configuring a software personal firewall ... that I think it may be useful to get a hardware firewall to block ... Any recommendations? ...
    (comp.security.firewalls)
  • Re: Cost of cheap but decent hardware firewall
    ... ]I have had a few problems configuring a software personal firewall ... ]that I think it may be useful to get a hardware firewall to block ... It will have as many features as you want to put on it. ...
    (comp.security.misc)
  • Re: Cost of cheap but decent hardware firewall
    ... I have had a few problems configuring a software personal firewall ... that I think it may be useful to get a hardware firewall to block ...
    (comp.security.misc)
  • Re: Router firewall
    ... > NAT routers however I would like to be able to use and learn the features of ... > a true hardware firewall. ... I am not sure if a hardware firewall can replace a NAT router. ... > decide how the pricing vs features works on the Sonicwalls. ...
    (comp.security.firewalls)