SnapGear SME 550/IPCop/Smoothwall etc..

From: t00f (t00f_at_hotmail.com)
Date: 03/07/04

Date: Sun, 7 Mar 2004 16:11:19 -0600

I am looking to connect a central office and 4 smaller offices together via
IPSec and had my mind made up on either IPCop or Smoothwall but came across
SnapGear prooducts. I was trying to get more information on it and appears
to be embedded linux, which if fine. Thing that concerns me is it appears
the rules are command line and I wanted someone to verify if it is indeed
that. I don't mind making the rules via SSH but I am concerned about this
being the only way to create rules and handing it off to the client without
an easy way for their admin to modify the firewall.

Anyway, is this the case? I liked the idea of using SnapGear because of the
price and warranty, but IPCop or Smoothwall and pretty easy to use and
maintain.

TIA

---

  • Re: Smoothwall vs IPcop
    ... Hard to learn but easy to manage but then IPCOP and Smoothwall ... commercial use iptables). ... chris at lowth dot sea oh em. ...
    (comp.security.firewalls)
  • Re: IPCop or SmoothWall? Which Is/Will Be Active?
    ... >>I wanted to know if the SmoothWall Freebie version is dead based ... >>version left off, IPCop picked it up. ... > SmoothWall GPL is far from being dead, ... the GPL version 0.99 has still been patched/fixed and there ...
    (comp.security.firewalls)
  • Re: Smoothwall
    ... > So you would recommend IPcop over Smoothwall then? ... Definately IPCop ... With SmoothWall you can install the patches and it ... Outgoing mail has been scanned for virus infection and, to the best of my knowledge, is Virus Free. ...
    (comp.security.firewalls)
  • Re: IPCop or SmoothWall? Which Is/Will Be Active?
    ... >I wanted to know if the SmoothWall Freebie version is dead based ... >version left off, IPCop picked it up. ... SmoothWall GPL is far from being dead, ... the GPL version 0.99 has still been patched/fixed and there ...
    (comp.security.firewalls)
  • Re: Linux Router with Firewall
    ... >> cares to point out where these fees are mentioned, ... > I've never configured ipcop, but you've sparked my curiosity about how ... > it compares to smoothwall in terms of ease of administration. ... reason for the idea of a GPL Linux Firewall Distribution of such ...
    (Fedora)