Re: D-Link DI-804, how to block ping? JPG Screen Shot How-To

From: John Hilt (n.n_at_c2i.net)
Date: 03/01/04

Date: Mon, 01 Mar 2004 07:46:44 GMT

On Sun, 29 Feb 2004 07:06:20 -0600 vic
wrote in news:comp.security.firewalls

>You might not be able to find the 804 but I have a 604 and found a page that
>showed enough that I could figure it out from there. On mine the settings
>are for forwarding port 113 are listed below.

Stealthing port 113 or any other port is no problem. The problem is
blocking ping ICMP type 8 response.

http://grc.com/x/ne.dll?rh1dkyd2

"Solicited TCP Packets: PASSED No TCP packets were received from your
system as a direct result of our attempts to elicit some response from
any of the ports listed below they are all either fully stealthed or
blocked by your ISP.

Unsolicited Packets: PASSED No Internet packets of any sort were
received from your system as a side-effect of our attempts to elicit
some response from any of the ports listed above. Some questionable
personal security systems expose their users by attempting to
"counter-probe the prober", thus revealing themselves. But your system
remained wisely silent. (Except for the fact that not all of its ports
are completely stealthed as shown below.)

Ping Reply: RECEIVED (FAILED) Your system REPLIED to our Ping (ICMP
Echo) requests, making it visible on the Internet. Most personal
firewalls can be configured to block, drop, and ignore such ping
requests in order to better hide systems from hackers. This is highly
recommended since "Ping" is among the oldest and most common methods
used to locate systems prior to further exploitation."

--